Wood alcohol (or methanol) is a chemical with the formula CH3OH. The name "wood alcohol" was acquired because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. When ingested in large quantities, it was poisonous to the central nervous system, and led to blindness, coma, and death.

In 1930, a derelict believed that Dr. Leonard McCoy's cordrazine-induced ravings were a result of McCoy imbibing "a sip too much of that old wood alky." (TOS: "The City on the Edge of Forever")

External link Edit