The Valakian language is spoken by the Valakians, a pre-warp species that share their planet with the lesser-evolved Menk.
Only a few brief seconds of the Valakian language were heard spoken because the universal translator quickly picked it up. (ENT: "Dear Doctor")
- Jonathan Archer: "We... found your ship adrift. We thought we might be able to help."
- Valakian: "Trenakadula ta? Morana dunnat?"
In the pronunciation guide from the script of "Dear Doctor", this pair of questions is phonetically notated as, "TREY-na-ka-DOO-la ta? MORE-ahn-nah DOO-nah?"
- Hoshi Sato: "I need a little more."
- Archer: "I'm Jonathan Archer. You're on the starship Enterprise."
- Valakian: "Kandala va gonsh. Yorata vala?"
In the script pronunciation guide for "Dear Doctor", this couple of sentences is transcribed thus; "
can-DAH-lah vah GOANSH. YO-rah-tah VAH-lah?"
At this point, the universal translator began successfully translating.