(written from a Production point of view)
This page contains information regarding the upcoming series, and thus may contain spoilers.
- Memory Alpha contains spoilers to released material only. No information about this series can be added until CBS or an identified studio source discusses information with a press outlet, such as a news service. Because Memory Alpha does not want to include unconfirmed data, please use the talk page to suggest or explain an addition to this article, only if it has a citation that could be referenced here.
An untitled Star Trek series will be produced by CBS Television Studios and will star Patrick Stewart, reprising the role of Jean-Luc Picard.  The new series will be set twenty years after the events of Star Trek Nemesis,  dealing with "the new chapter in Picard's life." Stewart has hinted that Picard may not be a captain in the series, and may be "a very different individual" from when he was last seen. 
The series will form part of Alex Kurtzman's five-year deal with CBS to expand the Star Trek franchise, and will air on CBS All Access.  Kurtzman will serve as executive producer on the series along with Stewart, as well as James Duff, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, Trevor Roth, Heather Kadin, and Rod Roddenberry.  Writer Kirsten Beyer reportedly devised the concept for the series,  and she will feature as part of the writing staff alongside Kurtzman, Duff, Goldsman, and Chabon.
The series was announced at the Star Trek Las Vegas convention on 4 August 2018, where Stewart appeared alongside Kurtzman to reveal his involvement. At the time of the announcement, the series was still early in pre-production, with no scripts written yet.  According to the actor, the possibility of Picard's return had been suggested to him about a year before, but he originally planned to reject the idea. However, upon revisiting episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and realizing the power and influence of the series, he changed his mind.  On making the announcement, Stewart referred to the news as "unexpected, but delightful". 
It has been reported that, on the day before the announcement, CBS applied for a number of trademarks in classes relating to entertainment, which could be connected with the new series. Marks applied for included "Star Trek: Reliant", and "Star Trek: Destiny", a title that shares its name with a post-TNG Star Trek novel trilogy. 
Work in the writers' room began in September 2018, and an image of the staff with Stewart was shared by the actor at the end of that month.  Production is expected to begin in April 2019, according to Kurtzman , and the series will be filmed in California.  In December 2018, CBS Corporation Chief Creative Officer David Nevins stated that CBS expects the series to launch late in 2019. 
Main cast Edit
- Michael Chabon – executive producer
- James Duff – executive producer
- Akiva Goldsman – executive producer
- Heather Kadin – executive producer
- Alex Kurtzman – executive producer
- Rod Roddenberry – executive producer
- Trevor Roth – executive producer
- Patrick Stewart – executive producer
|Star Trek television series|
|The Original Series • The Animated Series • The Next Generation • Deep Space Nine • Voyager • Enterprise • Discovery • Untitled Picard series • Lower Decks|
|Companion series: After Trek • Short Treks|