The Treaty of Armens was established in 2255 between the Sheliak Corporate and the United Federation of Planets which ended the Federation-Sheliak Conflict. It contained 500,000 words and took 372 Federation legal experts to draft. The treaty ceded several Class H planets from the Federation to the Sheliak.
A Federation colony was established on planet Tau Cygna V in the 2270s in violation of the Treaty of Armens. The Sheliak exercised their rights to order the colony removed in 2366. If that was not done, they intended to do so violently.
When the colony was discovered to be much larger than anticipated with a population of 15,253, Captain Jean-Luc Picard tried to negotiate a three week delay so the colonists could be removed. When the Sheliak refused to compromise, Picard resorted to using a clause in the treaty which gave him the right to ask for third-party arbitration of the dispute. As the petitioner had the right to choose the adjudicator, he selected the Grizzelas, a species who were in their six month long hibernation cycle at the time and obviously could not hear the case until they awakened. Stunned at being outmaneuvered by the Federation, the Sheliak agreed to the original three week proposal. (TNG: "The Ensigns of Command")
Selected Excerpts Edit
- Section 133, paragraph 77: Notes the ceding of Tau Cygna V to the Sheliak Corporate.
- Paragraph 653, subparagraph 9: Grants the right of one party to call for consultation with the other.
- Section 501, paragraph 716, subparagraph 5: "Unwanted life forms inhabiting H-Class worlds may be removed at the discretion of the Sheliak Corporate."
- Paragraph 1290: Grants right to request third-party arbitration of dispute.
- Paragraph 1290, subsection D3: Grants right to request the particular organization or civilization for the arbitration.