(written from a Production point of view)
Benjamin Sisko asks Nog, hoping for entrance to Starfleet Academy, to accompany and guide a young Klingon officer named Gronn, the son of Commander Wartok, on a diplomatic mission to Ferenginar. At a casino on the planet, Nog and Gronn learn about each others' cultures and form the beginnings of a friendship.
- Aron Eisenberg (the actor who played Nog) co-wrote the story of the comic. Eisenberg commented: "I met the comic people at a convention in Vegas and I asked why they don't put Nog in the comics more often? They said why didn't I come over and write a story! That caught me by surprise so I called Mark Paniccia, the editor, and we became good friends. We had a brunch and I told him about my ideas, which he loved, so both of us wrote it. In the story Sisko calls Nog up and sends him on a mission just like he is in Starfleet. Nog has to take a Klingon to the Ferengi homeworld. Nog doesn't like Klingons too much and Sisko tells him he is going to have to deal with people he doesn't like as a Starfleet officer. So Nog agrees and there is a whole story about taking this Klingon, who is studying to become a diplomat, to his race's homeworld. It is a good story". ("In For a Penny, In For a Pound", Star Trek: The Official Fan Club of the UK Magazine issue 8)
- This was the second of two books in the "Celebrity Series" published by Malibu Comics.
- The title card is done as if the original title were "The Rules of Acquisition", but changed at the last moment(citation needed • edit) to "The Rules of Diplomacy" by writing overtop of the old title.
- Phil Crain contributed an editorial commenting on his impressions of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and how the character of Nog represents "the kid in us, and that's what Nog represents; a purity of soul we all hope we'll never lose."
- Chris Kipiniak contributed a two page biography of Eisenberg to finish the issue.
- Based on:
- Writers: Aron Eisenberg & Mark Paniccia
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in Malibu DS9 characters.
Regular and recurring charactersEdit
|Previous issue:||Series||Next issue:|
|"Blood & Honor"||Malibu DS9 Special||Final issue in series|