Its converse is bioforming, which is the process of adapting a species to the planet.
Terraforming begins with selecting a planet which has the right mass, gravity, rate of rotation, and balanced periods of day and night. Federation efforts at terraforming were coordinated by Terraform Command and ensured both that there is no life on the planet, and that it never will naturally occur. Next, water must be made available for life in water basins. This could be done using hydraulic landscaping, sometimes with the additional step of filtering and re-oxygenating the subsurface water. Then, microorganisms are introduced to provide an arable biosphere.
One of the key metrics of the process being successful is monitoring the amount of vegetation on the planet.
- Blue Horizon (DS9: "Second Sight")
- Browder IV - a project that was assisted by the starships USS Hood and USS Enterprise-D in 2366 (TNG: "Allegiance")
- Caldos colony - established in the 22nd century (TNG: "Sub Rosa")
- Doraf I - in 2368, the Enterprise-D was scheduled to undertake a terraforming mission here (TNG: "Unification I")
- Genesis Planet - created in 2285 from the Mutara Nebula, but destroyed as a result of the Genesis Device, which contained protomatter (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; Star Trek III: The Search for Spock)
- Mars - as of 2155, conditions on Mars were sufficiently altered to allow Humans to survive on the surface by only having to use small breathing gear and thermal insulation (ENT: "Demons")
- Moab IV - site of the Genome colony (TNG: "The Masterpiece Society")
- New Halana (DS9: "Second Sight")
- Regula - a Class D planetoid whose interior was terraformed as the second phase of Project Genesis (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)
- Velara III - site of the Velara Base; mission abandoned in 2364 after life was discovered on the planet (TNG: "Home Soil")
- Venus - site of several terraforming stations by the 24th century (DS9: "Past Tense, Part I")
- Weytahn - a Class D planetoid terraformed by the Andorians for habitation in the 2050s (ENT: "Cease Fire")