A temporal violation was a report filed by the Department of Temporal Investigations when it was determined that an individual under Federation jurisdiction had not complied with regulations designed to ensure minimal contamination of the timeline in the event of time travel.
The seventeen violations on record were not named in the episode. Some of those seventeen could be:
- The events from "The Naked Time"
- The events from "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
- The events from "Assignment: Earth", though the USS Enterprise travelled through time under Starfleet orders
- The events from "All Our Yesterdays"
- The events from "The City on the Edge of Forever", though Kirk's mission was to restore the timeline damaged by Leonard McCoy
- The events from "Yesteryear", though Kirk was not responsible for the damage to the timeline
- The events from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- The events from Star Trek Generations