Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
marriage redirects to wedding. A marriage is not the same as a wedding. A marriage is the bonding of two of more people, recognized by law or tradition. It has a degree of permanency and is ended by death or divorce.
A wedding is a ceremony that celebrates the creation of a marriage. It is an event of limited duration.
The category for wedding is Ceremonies but the category for divorce is Sex and reproduction. As divorce is the end of a marriage, shouldn't they be in the same category?
Wedding should be renamed as marriage and the distinction between the two noted or two pages are needed to show the difference. --StarFire209 14:44, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- In answer to the above query, not necessarily. A divorce is not necessarily 'celebrated' by any sort of ceremony, whereas, the beginning of a marriage, ie a wedding, almost invariably is. perhaps if divorce IS celebrated ceremonially in a given culture, this Should be noted under ceremonies.
- A wedding is a ceremony, marriage on the other hand, is not, so yes, the distinction between the ceremony that is a wedding, and the state of legal commitment that is marriage, should be made. --188.8.131.52 14:00, March 29, 2012 (UTC)
- I'm sure that user appreciates the answer- close to five years later.31dot 20:33, March 29, 2012 (UTC)
- Tholian weddings involved paying a dowry.
What episode was this from? --Hawku 21:42, 15 March 2009 (UTC)
- It's in the script for "Defiant" but I can't see it in any transcript of the episode and I don't recall it being mentioned myself, though I could be wrong. It may be a deleted scene. Unless someone who has watched the episode recently can confirm this, it will have to be moved to background information. --| TrekFan Open a channel 10:28, February 5, 2014 (UTC)