Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Name Origin Edit
- As this was the earlier Hood, merged name speculation from USS Hood (Excelsior class) into this one.
- Changed "was named" to the less problematic but still speculative "may have been named."
- Corrected spelling of Bismarck.
--StarFire209 15:52, 26 August 2007 (UTC)
- I've seen that for both the Constitution class and the Excelsior class starships Hood, the articles state that they were named for the World War I British Admiral Sir Horace Hood. Having looked him up I see he is indeed a fine personage to name a ship for; however, I think the original Constitution-class U.S.S. Hood was named for the British battlecruiser H.M.S. Hood, pride of the Royal Navy in the inter-war years. That fine ship was actually named after the 18th century British Admral Samuel Hood, who fought in the American and French Revolutionary Wars, and not Sir Horace, who was killed in action at Jutland after she was ordered but before she was laid down.
- I have the Star Trek Encyclopedia (Revised and Expanded Edition), and none of the entries for the U.S.S. Hood state that they were named for Sir Horace; or indeed, state who they were named for at all.
- Can we confirm what/who the Constitution-class U.S.S. Hood was named after? Does anyone have the old book 'The Making of Star Trek', where this information may be held?
- Commander, Starbase 23 05:06, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
It's clear from pages 143-5 of 'The Making of Star Trek' that all the TOS starships were named after famous naval ships. So USS Hood is named after the HMS Hood sunk by the Bismarck, which was in turn named after Adm. Samuel Hood. Incidentally all the British ship names used had featured in movies: Hood in "Sink the Bismarck", Exeter in "Battle of the River Plate" and the fictional Defiant in "Damn the Defiant" 188.8.131.52 15:21, October 3, 2010 (UTC)