Not once, in my eleven years in the US Navy, have I ever heard a Chief referred to as a Chief Specialist. Now, you could have a rating with specialist in it and referred to as such. Say Communication Specialist Chief Petty Officer as an example. I was personally an Aviation Electronics Technician First Class Petty Officer, or just an AT1 or Petty Officer. Petty does not denote any disrespect, it literally means small officer and is a non-commissioned officer rank. 18.104.22.168 06:33, October 6, 2009 (UTC)
- Of course, while Starfleet is modeled on the US Navy, it isn't identical to the US Navy. -- sulfur 10:18, October 6, 2009 (UTC)
- I removed text claiming the terms were interchangeable in the real US Navy. My eight years experience agree with the first poster's eleven. :-) Sulfur is of course correct that Starfleet can be different. --22.214.171.124 09:13, April 14, 2017 (UTC)
For a rank that is entirely derived from a piece of insignia, this has a lot of irrelevant information and speculation. A large chunk of it was removed this morning (by me) and I've put it here:
- This rank was almost the highest enlisted grade in organizations like Starfleet and the US Navy, falling subordinate to any commissioned officer. In comparison to infantry ranking systems, this rank was approximately equivalent to the first sergeant grade.
- When there were individual grades of chief petty officers, SCPO was subordinate to master chief petty officer (MCPO).
- This rank was considered to have the responsibility of a "noncommissioned officer." Senior Chiefs were considered to have superior knowledge in their field and advise mid level officers (LCDR and CDR) on specific matters.
That's just far too much speculating for my tastes, and I'm not entirely convinced that everything that is still on the page does belong. -- sulfur 15:35, November 11, 2010 (UTC)
---The last removed paragraph above accurately describes behavior seen on screen, and is probably a helpful description of the rank as it is portrayed in the case of O'Brien. --126.96.36.199 09:07, April 14, 2017 (UTC)