I reverted edits adding a later-TNG era rear admiral insignia -- the reason I didn't include this in the table is because that insignia was never used onscreen or created by the costume department. Not saying that is isn't likely to be the insignia -- I still include the symbol in the Starfleet ranks table because it likely exists -- but i think itmightn't be called for to include unseen insignia here. -- Captain Mike K. Barteltalk 15:33, 8 February 2006 (UTC)
'24th century Starfleet ranks changed the system slightly, deprecating the commodore grade, instead calling officers of that standing "rear admiral lower half."'
Is this fact or conjecture? Is "lower half" or "upper half" actually used on screen? It seems to be a US Navy way to look at it and I was wondering if that can be backed up. --StarFire209 18:36, 4 September 2007 (UTC)
- Well, the phrase "lower half" and "upper half" is never stated on screen, of what I can remember. I also can't remember anytime when the phrase was used for the rank-insignia for the grades Rear admiral (upper half) for the uniforms from TNG (season 3) or any uniform following those insignias was ever used. One fact is that we never saw a rank insignia for the lower half in any uniform suceeding TNG season-1+2.
- When it comes to US Navy, I don't know. I'm not from that area of our planet. But what I have stated above may help you a little, or not.
- PS. When I wrote that I don't remember, it is because I have not seen everything of TNG, and adding what I have seen, it is much to remember for only one Trekkie. Also, you can ask Fleet Captain. He knows a lot about US Navy.-- Örlogskapten. Qapl'a! 19:25, 14 October 2007 (UTC)
- Rear Admiral lower half is speculative. The only two 1-star admirals ever seen in TNG and after could also as easily have been costuming errors. Although it is likely that the producers adopted the changes from the US Navy (Commodore to Rear Admiral lower half), we have yet to see canonical evidence for that. --Maxwell Fawkes 01:22, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
- It is obvious that they always follow the current US Navy(or NATO) ranks... --Sybok 19:22, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
Lower Half (Redux) Edit
So should this be looked at? The term 'Lower Half' isn't used in the show at all, so unless we can find some solid evidence that is what it meant, the references should be removed --Tuskin38 (talk) 19:57, August 20, 2016 (UTC)