Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
how do we know Lasers do not have a stun setting? --TOSrules 04:59, 5 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- That's what I was wondering. Apparently, they thought that Pike wouldn't be so willing to use the laser to burn off the Talosian's head if it had a stun setting. :\ --Shran 05:05, 5 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Maybe that is what they thought, but it is obvious he was angery enough to not to want to use it. I am not sure but I think there may be an implication of the Stun setting in either "The Cage" or "Where No Man Has Gone Before", the weapon was also used in "The Man Trap" and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" --TOSrules 05:15, 5 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- The real reason for all the confusion is really simple: Dr. VonPutkammer (sp?), who GR was corrsponding with for science/tech advice informed him that lasers couldn't do the things he wanted them to do, so he changed the name to "phasers" instead. The same thing happened to the Lithium crystals in the warp drive (they became DIlithium crystals because the real ones were unsuitable for what GR wanted them to do). It's been discussed ad infiniutm at various Treknology sites and forums, but for some reason it's one of those retcons that never seems to sink in with a lot of people...Capt Christopher Donovan 09:20, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
- As regards stun settings, as early as the 1964 Yorktown/April pitch, it was contemplated that the hand weapons would also employ pellets instead of an energy stream to disable opponents. This would explain why there are three nozzles at the end of the laser pistol. See http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/misc/trek_history.htm -- GNDN 17:59, 16 September 2006 (UTC)
Visionary Screenshot Edit
If someone can get a screenshot of the laser discharge from "Visionary" I think it would be a good addition for the gallery. I'd do it myself but I don't have the DVDs. -- TrekFan Open a channel 16:10, February 7, 2011 (UTC)
Movie issues Edit
The New JJ Abrams Movie made a Few new issues with Lasers: The Crew of the USS Kelvin use Phasers. that look too much like the Phasers seen in all of TOS. so where do Lasers Come in? Cause I think that the Laser is actually a Phaser (Nadion Pulse Weapon) with a Huge attachment that Combines the Plasma, and Nadions with a Laser Beam shooting out a "Laser Beam". This would apply with all Ship Based Weapons and Hand Weapons as well.– The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk).
- What exactly are you saying should be done to this article? --31dot 22:18, January 24, 2012 (UTC)