English language Edit
Anyone know when english took over as the sole language on earth? Tryffel
- I don't think it was ever stated that "English took over," but with universal translators, I wonder whether we still have individual langauges. That's an interesting question. --Vedek Dukat Talk | Duty Roster 16:08, 16 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- I dont care much for the universal translator. If you don't speak english you mouth (or other bodypart that might construct your speach) should move in a different way. I have never seen that happen in any episode and I guess it's because it would look very annoying (at best). Anyway. Maybe it's true that people still speak different languages in the warp-era. I just think it would be more efficient to change to one and the same. Just think how much more readable this would be to you if I had english as my mothertongue. Tryffel
- True. And at this point in the real world, if one language were to "take over" I think it'd be English... Even though the spelling is horrible (I read once that it takes three years for kids in the US/UK to achieve the level of literacy that kids in France and Germany achieve in a year.) You're right about the universal translator, but I think the mouth thing is just common business sense - it would be illogical to intentionally make your television series look like a 1970s Godzilla film. :) --Vedek Dukat Talk | Duty Roster 16:48, 16 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- I think you are absolutely correct. It would look absolutely ridiculous but at the same time it is one of those things I think about sometimes.
- Just as I get sort of frustrated that almost all humanoid species look the same except for different ridges in the face. I mean, you would still be humanoid if you had four arms or eyes in the back but the species-designers (cool job) seems to be lacking in imagination. Maybe they should employ me?
- And I agree, english would definately be my candidate for the United Earth. Tryffel
- Not everyone is using the Universal Translator. In VOY: "Riddles", the riddle is based on a pun in English. It is very unlikely that Vulcan and Talaxian have exactly the same pun. There are similar examples of such wordplay, as well as rhyming and rhythm, throughout the canon. AyalaofBorg 10:50, 18 June 2009 (UTC)