Cold Fusion DefinitionEdit
As I understand it, the normal definition of cold fusion is theoretical and involves generating thermonuclear reactions at extremely low levels so as to produce a stable and very long-lasting, low-energy power-source.
Essentially one could compare a cold-fusion, fusion-reactors, and fusion bombs in the following way
Cold Fusion: Analogous to metabolism. Energy is produced at a very low rate with a very low release of energy over a long period of time. Less energetic than a typical fusion reactor which revolves around using controlled (potentially continuous) nuclear reactions which are far more energetic.
Hot Fusion Reactor: Analogous to controlled combustion. While the energy release is quite substantial, it is controlled. Fusion reactions are highly efficient so enormous amounts of power could be generated over a long time.
Fusion Bomb: Also known as an H-Bomb. The reaction is extremely energetic and very rapid in duration. The result is an enormous surge of radiation and a massive expansion in an atmosphere. Basically a huge explosion ensues.
In the movie, the definition is not a typical definition used for cold-fusion, what they seem to be describing is some kind of endothermic reaction to absorb all the heat from the volcano to basically inert it. – The preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk).
- Whether it's typical or not is irrelevant; it is what it is. 31dot (talk) 20:11, June 17, 2013 (UTC)
Split to "cold fusion device"? Edit
- How would that page be different than this current page? Once a split took place, it really wouldn't leave much behind. 31dot (talk) 13:14, November 18, 2013 (UTC)
The device might look something like this:
- A cold fusion device is a type of technology that initiates a cold fusion detonation.
- In 2259, Spock activated a cold fusion device in an erupting volcano on the planet Nibiru. Use of the device successfully caused a detonation which rendered the volcano inert, causing lava to congeal into enormous pinnacles of rock. (Star Trek Into Darkness)
And the page for cold fusion might look like this:
- Cold fusion is a release of thermonuclear energy by a device that operates at room temperature. One of the results of a cold fusion detonation is the complete absorption of heat.
- In 2259, Spock initiated a cold fusion eruption in an active volcano on the planet Nibiru. The successful detonation rendered the volcano inert, causing lava to congeal into enormous pinnacles of rock. (Star Trek Into Darkness)
- I can understand having separate pages for the process and the device; thanks for writing those drafts. As of now it seems OK to me. 31dot (talk) 14:55, November 18, 2013 (UTC)