Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Personal animal guide Edit
"I can't tell you that. It would offend my animal guide if I spoke its name."
So, where's the bit about the tiger from? A novel maybe? --Jörg 02:48, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- I haven't heard it either. I am removing for now. Feel free to put it back in if contrary evidence is presented. Jaz talk | novels 02:51, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- Despite official Paramount policy, Pathways isn't canon here, even if it's written by Taylor. Jaz talk | novels 03:22, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- Didn't series bible say Chakotay's animal guide was a timber wolf? --From Andoria with Love 01:06, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
Opening sentence Edit
I changed the opening sentence of this article from "in Native American tradition" to "in Commander Chakotay's culture." The former is incorrect, and probably offensive to many Native American people who may frequent this site. It implied that there is one generic Native American culture, which is ludicrous; on top of that, Chakotay's tribe was fictitious, and the character's traditions were based largely on the writings of a discredited writer named Jamake Highwater who claimed false Indian ancestry, and spread offensive misconceptions about Native Americans.
For the record, I am a fan of Chakotay's character, and by no means think we should get easily offended by silly stereotypes on TV. However, an information source such as this wiki must make a distinction between a fictitious tribe and real people's cultures. – The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk).
- I have no problem with re-writing the opening paragraph. The only thing you should know is that this is a Star Trek wiki what means we're going by the stuff mentioned in the episodes and films even if it is a different path from what is known in real life. Tom (talk) 10:12, August 26, 2015 (UTC)
- I'll second that; no problem with a rewrite if it will better align with what was said in the show. We don't go by real life here, just by what was said in the show. Issues with the writer such as stereotyping and "discrediting" could be discussed as Background on Chakotay's page and the writer's page(if they can be cited). 31dot (talk) 10:16, August 26, 2015 (UTC)