Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
(covers information from several alternate timelines)
Tactical alert was a security protocol instituted by Malcolm Reed under the influence of dangerous mind-affecting radiation aboard Enterprise NX-01, in response to the perceived number of threats that were being encountered by the starship in their deep space exploration mission. The protocol was kept due to its usefulness. It was a precursor to the alert system used on later Starfleet vessels.
The alert was designed to automatically bring the ship to battle-ready status when a pre-programmed set of circumstances occurred (for instance, an impact to the hull, or an order from the captain). When a tactical alert was initiated, the hull plating was polarized, the weapons were automatically charged, and critical systems such as the warp core were secured. In addition, all crewmembers would report to battle stations upon initiation of the alert. The tactical alert was initially accompanied by a loud, grating klaxon, which aggravated Captain Jonathan Archer and Commander Tucker, who felt it sounded like "a bag full of cats." The klaxon was not retained in future uses of the alert. While in the process of naming the new condition, the terms "Reed alert", security protocol and condition red were suggested. The term "Reed alert" was sarcastically suggested by Commander Tucker as the name for the new tactical alert system Reed was working on, but was later dismissed by Lieutenant Reed as being "a bit narcissistic," whereas security protocol was deemed "not very dynamic." (ENT: "Singularity")
It was also an alert status aboard Klingon Defense Force ships to indicate approaching hostile vessels. It was used on the IKS Rotarran during their mission to find and rescue the IKS B'Moth battle cruiser when the Rotarran's sensors detected a Jem'Hadar warship approaching their position near the Cardassian border (DS9: "Soldiers of the Empire").
In an alternate timeline where Chakotay and Harry Kim attempted to alter history in 2390, the Delta Flyer's computer signaled a tactical alert when the USS Challenger approached to apprehend them. (VOY: "Timeless")
Notable uses Edit
- Enterprise NX-01
- 2153 - Captain Archer ordered tactical alert when Enterprise was searching the Borg-assimilated transport Arctic One. (ENT: "Regeneration")
- 2154 - Lieutenant Reed ordered tactical alert when a Xindi-Insectoid starship opened a subspace vortex off the port bow of Enterprise. (ENT: "Hatchery")
- 2154 - Commander Tucker ordered tactical alert when Vulcan starships tried to force Enterprise from orbit of Vulcan. (ENT: "Awakening")
- 2154 - Commander Tucker ordered tactical alert after Reed discovered that Soval was captured by the Andorians. (ENT: "Kir'Shara")
- Commander Chakotay put Voyager on full tactical alert prior to its entry into the Northwest Passage. (VOY: "Scorpion")
- Captain Janeway put Voyager on 24-hour tactical alert when they were under constant attack by Krenim vessels. (VOY: "Year of Hell")
- Captain Janeway initiated tactical alert when Voyager was approaching a Species 8472 station in an attempt to rescue Commander Chakotay. (VOY: "In the Flesh")
|Colored alerts:||Red • Double Red • Yellow • Blue • Gray|
|General alerts:||Battle stations • "Brace for impact" • General quarters|
|Battle • Evacuation • Fire • Intruder • Perimeter • Proximity • Security • Standby • Tactical|