(written from a Production point of view)
Young Jean-Luc Picard faces his most difficult test…
Starfall is a Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy young adult novel – the eighth novel in the series – written by Brad and Barbara Strickland. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in October 1995.
- From the book jacket
- Jean-Luc Picard has failed his entrance exam to Starfleet Academy. Now all his plans for the future are gone, and he must make the best of his life in his parents' vineyard. Pressure from his father to become more involved in the family business and the constant fighting with his older brother, Robert, make this life difficult. Jean-Luc's best friend, Louis, tries to cheer him up with an exciting trip, but the future captain's dream of the stars still haunts him.
- A chance to re-apply to the Academy arises and Jean-Luc must use all his skills to pass the challenging tests. But the greatest risk he faces is the wrath of his father.
Background information Edit
- The concept of exploring Picard's initial failed attempt to enter the Academy came from the Pocket editors; when the Stricklands developed it in into a full outline, it was felt that there was enough material for two books – leading to the development of Nova Command. (Voyages of Imagination, p. 681)
- Brad Strickland noted that the novel "was an attempt to see Jean-Luc as much more vulnerable and uncertain than he always appeared on the show. We know he must once have been an adolescent, with all the angst that implies, and the book gave us a chance to see that up close." (Voyages of Imagination, p. 681)
- The cover depicts the Romulan ship design developed by Greg Jein for the Star Trek Chronology.
- Louis Blanchard
- Kimberly Bloom
- Melissa Bloom
- Jean-Luc Picard
- Robert Picard
- Maurice Picard
- Yvette Picard
- Henri Blanchard
- Andrew Chen
- Jan Helmer
- Ariadne Korzeniowski
- Cyntia Luttrell
- J. R. Newell
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#7: Secret of the Lizard People||Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy||#9: Nova Command|