(written from a Production point of view)
Short story adaptations of eight Star Trek: The Original Series episodes, second collection in the series.
The stories in this volume were based on early draft scripts, and there are some significant differences between the printed version and what actually appeared on screen. Due to the lead times required for publication of print books such as these, James Blish was forced to use the only scripts available from Desilu promotions, which were draft scripts that had been discarded. As many of these draft versions have been lost in the years since the series ended, Blish's adaptations are now seen as valuable resources for those researching how the early episodes evolved from script to film.
- A 12-page adaptation of TOS: "Arena". It mentions there were 512 people at the outpost on Cestus III.
- A Taste of Armageddon
- A 13-page adaptation of TOS: "A Taste of Armageddon".
- Tomorrow is Yesterday
- A 15-page adaptation of TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday". Blish changed the Enterprise's arrival date from "the late 1960s" to c. 1970.
- Errand of Mercy
- A 14-page adaptation of TOS: "Errand of Mercy".
- Court Martial
- A 16-page adaptation of TOS: "Court Martial".
- Operation -- Annihilate!
- An 18-page adaptation of TOS: "Operation -- Annihilate!". Blish changed the ending because he didn't think the televised version worked in print.
- The City on the Edge of Forever
- A 17-page adaptation of TOS: "The City on the Edge of Forever". Blish added elements of Ellison's original script.
- Space Seed
- A 17-page adaptation of TOS: "Space Seed".
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Star Trek 1|| Bantam TOS|
|Star Trek 3|