(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek 12 is a collection of short story adaptations of five Star Trek: The Original Series episodes, written by James Blish and J.A. Lawrence. Published by Bantam Books, and first released in November 1977, it is the final volume in the numbered adaptation series.
- From the back cover
- Kirk: Slave; McCoy: Murdered; Spock: Outlaw; in a universe gone mad!
- A universe where worlds are ruled by neo-Nazi dictators...
- A universe that immunizes children to the wholesale slaughter of their parents...
- A universe where the slightest thought unleashes total terror...
- Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy and the crew of the Starship Enterprise enter the darkest dimensions of existence – on their newest exploration of unknown worlds.
- Lawrence discusses Blish's death and her decision to finish the series.
- Blish talks about how he came to adapt the episodes, and why his adaptations don't always accord with the televised versions.
- "Patterns of Force"
- A 33 page adaptation of TOS: "Patterns of Force".
- "The Gamesters of Triskelion"
- A 40 page adaptation of TOS: "The Gamesters of Triskelion".
- "And the Children Shall Lead"
- A 29 page adaptation of TOS: "And the Children Shall Lead".
- "The Corbomite Maneuver"
- A 37 page adaptation of TOS: "The Corbomite Maneuver".
- "Shore Leave"
- A 31 page adaptation of TOS: "Shore Leave".
- Appendix I
- List of books in the series with episodes and writers.
- Appendix II
- Alphabetized list of episodes.
Background information Edit
- James Blish died during work on this volume; his wife, J.A. Lawrence, who had been working with him to complete the series, asked to finish the remaining adaptations ("Shore Leave" and "And the Children Shall Lead") – to which Bantam agreed. Lawrence would go on to adapt the only remaining episodes in Mudd's Angels.
Cover gallery Edit
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Star Trek 11|| Bantam TOS|