(written from a Production point of view)
This page contains information regarding material for the upcoming Star Trek film, and thus may contain spoilers.
Star Trek is a co-op video game set for release on 23 April 2013. Set between Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, it will allow gamers to play as James T. Kirk and Spock when they discover a group of scientists developing a New Vulcan homeworld have torn open a hole in space with their Helios device, enabling the Gorn to invade. (Empire issue 252) 
The game was developed by Digital Extremes, with a script written by Marianne Krawczyk, and story input from Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, and Mike Johnson. The primary cast of the films (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin) will provide voiceovers,  while Michael Giacchino provided the score.  Brian Miller, Senior Vice President of Paramount Pictures and producer on the game, has made statements that the game is canon. 
The tricorder is the primary gameplay element, giving players information and an interface to solve puzzles. Kirk and Spock will each have their own unique gameplay attributes. Kirk can call an orbital strike from the USS Enterprise, while Spock can use his Vulcan mind melding ability to unlock certain cinematics.  The choice of character will also affect how non-playable characters interact with them, for example, some female officers will flirt with Kirk while ignoring Spock. 
Using set blueprints, Digital Extremes will also show areas of the Enterprise not shown in the film, such as the captain's quarters. The player can explore the ship and use research points collected by the tricorder to upgrade phasers, communicators, and the tricorder.  The game also features subterranean swimming gameplay, and ship-to-ship combat. Co-op can be allowed during Enterprise gameplay, with one player controlling the phasers and the other using the torpedoes. 
The Gorn were redesigned by Neville Page and come in several species, ranging in intelligence, gender, size and color. They are depicted as being skilled with hallucinogenic poisons, which they can use to turn some Vulcans and Enterprise personnel on Kirk and Spock. 
- Commander: the ten foot tall leader of the Gorn.
- Henchman: The second-in-command of the Gorn Armada, he possesses a cloaking device and wields the Pillager.
- Rusher: Unarmed, weak and unintelligent Gorn who serve as shock troops.
- Initiates: Front line soldiers, unarmored, wield automatic Ravager rifle, stand over six feet tall and can run on all fours.
- Lieutenants: Armored commanders of the initiates.
- Warrior: Genetically enhanced initiates that can wield the Pillager and Arc Driver, and are equipped with basic armor.
- Guardian: Purple "Royal Guard" that wield energy axes.
- Brute: Too stupid to use weaponry, but the strongest and most heavily armored enemy, capable of smashing through cover.
- Scout: Unarmored snipers that can walk on walls and camouflage.
- Champion: A burly mutant who stands eight feet high. He is designed as a homage to the Gorn in "Arena".
- Sentinel: Nine feet tall subordinates to the Commander, armed with Arc Drivers that can disintegrate organic matter.
The game began development in 2010 and was announced the following year at E3 for a 2012 release. On 10 February 2012, it was announced that Namco Bandai would co-publish and distribute the game in Spring 2013, shortly before the release of the Star Trek sequel. 
Star Trek will have the following downloadable content:
- Elite Officer Pack: Available with pre-ordered editions of the game, unlocking the following content:
- Brawler Pack: Kirk leather jacket skin, Spock Vulcan Science Academy skin
- Academy Pack: Kirk Starfleet Academy skin, Spock officer dress uniform skin, Academy phaser
- Kobayashi Maru Pack: Kobayashi Maru skins
- Stealth Pack: Stealth outfits, Starfleet Type IV Stealth Sniper Rifle and extra ammo
- Kelvin Pack: USS Kelvin uniform skins, Kelvin hand phaser 
- Chris Pine as James T. Kirk (voice)
- Zachary Quinto as Spock (voice)
- Zoe Saldana as Nyota Uhura (voice)
- Karl Urban as Leonard McCoy (voice)
- Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott (voice)
- Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov (voice)
- John Cho as Hikaru Sulu (voice)
- Daniel Arrias - Stunt Performer
- Maryellen Aviano - Stunt Player
- Mike Massa - Stunt double for Chris Pine
- Tierre Turner - Stunts
- Marianne Krawczyk - Writer
- Alex Kurtzman - Writer
- Roberto Orci - Writer
- Francesco Ferrara - Painter
- John Davies - Rigging Electric Gang Boss
- Robert Ikeda - Grip
- Mark Wojciechowski - Grip