(written from a Production point of view)
Tales from the second five-year mission!
It depicted the events of a second five-year mission taking place between the events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Some major events shown are Spock's tutelage of Saavik, the switch to the newer Starfleet uniform design of the later movie, and James T. Kirk's reluctance to accept a position at the admiralty rather than as a starship captain.
- Rear Admiral James T. Kirk
- Commander Spock
- Doctor Leonard McCoy
- Commander Montgomery Scott
- Lieutenant Commander Hikaru Sulu
- Lieutenant Pavel Chekov
- Lieutenant Commander Uhura
- Each issue in the series took place approximately a year after the prior issue.
- Paramount asked writer Glenn Greenberg to not refer to or follow any previous novels or comic book stories when writing the series, even suggesting that he create a new origin for Saavik and make her a full Vulcan, instead of the half-Romulan suggested by the novelization of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Greenberg ultimately decided to remain faithful to Saavik's previously established origin.
- Based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry
- Writer: Glenn Greenberg