(written from a Production point of view)
The Star Trek: The Original Series Sketchbook is a collection of conceptual artwork from Star Trek: The Original Series. It includes profiles on Walter Matthew Jefferies, William Ware Theiss, Fred Phillips and Wah Chang, with background history, photos, and sketches.
In this book, the reader will be able to see sketches based on the USS Enterprise from Matt Jefferies, costume designs from William Theiss, makeup art from Fred Phillips and props designed by Wah Chang.
- From the back cover
- Devise a look for the future. Construct strange new worlds. Create new life-forms. Design their clothes. Do it all in a week. And do it on budget. This was the mission for the creative staff of Star Trek. For three years just a handful of talented artists created the entire world of Star Trek.
- The STAR TREK SKETCHBOOK is a unique opportunity to finally see the sketches collected from these artists, providing insight into their creative processes. The Original Series was fortunate enough to have that handful of designers who overcame the creative constraints of a weekly television series to forge a vision of the future that has literally a cultural icon.
- Matt Jefferies created meticulous sketches of every aspect of the Starship Enterprise and the worlds she visited. The energetic illustrations of William Theiss depicted some of the most lavish costumes ever worn in this or any other galaxy. Fred Phillips designed makeup that actualized whole new races, with just Humans underneath. Wah Chang created props and hardware that are still the basis of futuristic design.
- For a writer, the sky is the limit. You can create anything, imagine anywhere. The designers on Star Trek had to make it real, affordable, and come back and do it all again next week. The STAR TREK SKETCHBOOK allows you onto the sound stages where it all happened.
- Walter Matthews Jefferies
- William Ware Theiss
- Fred Phillips
- Wah Chang