(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek: Official Guide 5 – The Ultimate is the fifth and last installment in the Japanese-language Star Trek Official Guide series, published by Bunkasha. The book was a heavily expanded edition upon the work, the publisher's editorial bureau, "Dullmax", had done on the first and third outings in the series.
- Foreword by Majel Barrett Roddenberry
- "It is my hope that this dictionary will introduce the Japanese people to the universe of Gene Roddenberry through Star Trek terminology. This is a comprehensive and indispensable resource for any fan's library."
- Chapter 1: Five Year Mission
- Chapter 2: Continuing Mission
- Chapter 3: The Motion Pictures
- Chapter 4: Spin-Off Series
- Chapter 5: Change the Generation
- Chapter 6: Production Material
- In format deviating from the previous volumes, it was published as a deluxe, full color, oversized, 31.8 × 22.7 × 4.5 cm hardcover in a dust jacket coffee-table book. It was released as a limited edition of 2,000 copies, each copy individually numbered, and came in a protective hardboard slipcase. It was originally priced at ¥15,000, or approximately US$150.00 in 2001 prices.
- The book concentrated on the Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation television shows, as well as on the first six Star Trek films. Subjects were organized around themes like, episode guides, characters, hardware, making off and the like. Apart from lifting and editing contents from the Companion books, contents, originating from other works, like the Star Trek Encyclopedia and the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, were also in edited form included.
- Other Star Trek productions up to that point received only a passing acknowledgment in the book, which was indicative of the lesser popularity Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager enjoyed in Japan.
| Previous Star Trek: Official Guide:|
Star Trek: Official Guide 4 - Mechanics
|Star Trek: Official Guide series||Final book in series|