(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek Official Guide 3 – Official Database was the third in the Official Guides-series. Numbers one and two were illustrated guides to TNG and DS9/VOY respectively while number 4 was a specialty volume about studio models. This third volume, unlike the previous two, did not contain edited excerpts from Pocket Books' companions series, but was an original Japanese-language piece of writing, by author Osamu Kishikawa, about the history of the Star Trek franchise. It covered the Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the first seven Star Trek films and their production. Star Trek: Voyager, not yet in full production at the time of writing was only referenced to.
- Visual File
- Chapter 1: The Universe & History
- Chapter 2: Characters File
- Chapter 3: Mechanics File
- Chapter 4: Making of Star Trek
- Chapter 5: Staff Profiles
- Chapter 6: Filmography & Dictionary
- Star Trek: Colomn
- Unlike its companions in the series, the sofcover in a dust jacket book, measuring 30×21×1 cm, was low on color content and most pictures in the book were reproduced in black and white.
- A not updated second edition was released in 2004 with new cover art, and with the reference to being a part of the Official Guide series dropped.
| Previous Star Trek: Official Guide:|
Star Trek: Official Guide 2 - Star Trek Deep Space Nine & Star Trek Voyager
|Star Trek: Official Guide series|| Next Star Trek Official Guide:|
Star Trek: Official Guide 4 - Mechanics