(written from a Production point of view)
With the upcoming 50th anniversary of Star Trek, CBS Communications, as a courtesy to its sister company CBS Studios – owner of one of history's most successful media-franchises – , owed it to its standing to have attention paid to the phenomenon, starting with the release of three Star Trek-themed issues in 2014-2015 in the Collector's Edition series, of which Leonard Nimoy 1931-2015 was the second. Still, unlike the prior issue, this issue was something of a spur-of-the-moment release, as actor Leonard Nimoy had only passed away the week previously, and as such it was presented as a "commemorative edition" instead of a celebratory one, as indicated on the magazine cover.
A glossy magazine, the publication was high on picture content, but with minimal, cursory text captions. Editorial chores were subcontracted to publisher Media Lab Books. The magazine was offered for official sale until 16 June 2015 as indicated on the magazine cover.
- Publisher's blurb on Amazon.com
- CBS Watch! presents a one-of-a-kind tribute to the late Leonard Nimoy, TV's Mr. Spock. For nearly 50 years in the limelight, Nimoy was the favorite of generations of science fiction fans for his logical yet lovable Vulcan. But his artistic endeavors went far beyond Star Trek, taking him behind the camera as a director, to the still image as a photographer and to the written word as a poet and author. Through exclusive photos and editorial content, this 100-page memorial issue celebrates every aspect of the man the world came to know and love as Spock.
- Publisher's blurb on official site
- CBS Watch! magazine presents a one-of-a-kind tribute to the late Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek‘s much beloved alien character Mr. Spock. This 100-page memorial issue takes you behind-the-scenes of the iconic show and celebrates Nimoy’s long and prosperous life.
- Inside, you’ll get never-before-seen photos, iconic memorabilia, exclusive interviews and content–such as stories about his early, fledgling acting career and the development of his most memorable role. A true creative inspiration, you’ll learn intimate details about Leonard Nimroy’s sudden rise to fame and becoming a household name as well as his other roles as director, photographer, poet and author.
- As a commemorative issue, customers have received the magazine favorably, even though, as with the previous Star Trek-themed issue, one reviewer has pointed out inconsistencies in the picture captions.
- An excerpt of the magazine is slated to be included in edited format for the reference book version of the previous magazine issue, Star Trek: The Lost Photographs, expected to be released in 2016.
Cover gallery Edit
| Previous magazine issue|
Star Trek: The Lost Photographs
| The Official CBS Watch! Collector's Edition|
Magazine issue 2 - 4 March 2015
| Next magazine issue|
Star Trek: Heroes and Villains