(written from a Production point of view)
Spencer Garrett (born 19 September 1963; age 54) is an actor who portrayed Crewman Simon Tarses in the Star Trek: The Next Generation fourth season episode "The Drumhead" in 1991. He filmed his scenes on Tuesday 19 February 1991 and between Friday 22 February 1991 and Tuesday 26 February 1991 on Paramount Stage 8 and 9. Nine years later, he appeared as Weiss in the Star Trek: Voyager double episode "Flesh and Blood".
Born as Spencer Garrett Heckenkamp in Los Angeles, California to actress Kathleen Nolan and former head of the talent agency Film Artists Associates Richard Heckenkamp, he attended Duke University and Fordham University. He studied acting with Sanford Meisner at The Neighborhood Playhouse, Jeff Perry, Robert Neff Williams at The Juilliard School, and Alfred Molina. In 1996 he received a Dramalogue Award for Best Actor in the stage play "Heartbreak", performed at the Hudson Guild Theatre. In 2007, Garrett was part of the ensemble of the drama Bobby' and received a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for Best Ensemble Cast.
Garrett's career in front of the camera began around the year 1989, when he appeared in a made-for-television film called Love and Other Sorrows, a production that also featured DS9 guest actor Tim Ransom.
Garrett also had a brief role in the 1996 drama Ghosts of Mississippi which also starred Whoopi Goldberg, Susanna Thompson, Virginia Madsen, Brock Peters, Terry O'Quinn, Jerry Hardin, Bill Cobbs, Richard Riehle, Jordan Lund, and Thomas Kopache.
Since then, Garrett has had numerous television and some film appearances in supporting roles. Garrett has been working as a producer. In cinematic film, he played the Air Force Chief in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Some other Star Trek personalities had similar military roles, with Glenn Morshower and Eric Pierpoint playing a general and NSA officer, respectively. Robert Foxworth, Tony Todd and Frank Welker also provided voices for the movie.
Further Trek connections Edit
- Murder One (1996, with Barbara Bosson, Clayton Rohner, Jack Kehler, Titus Welliver, Rick Worthy, David Andrews, Jack Blessing, and Ron Canada)
- Dark Skies (1997, with Jeri Ryan, Conor O'Farrell, Mitchell Ryan and Tim Kelleher)
- Newsradio (1998, with Stephen Root and Andy Dick)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2001, with Kelly Connell)
- Crossing Jordan (2003, with Miguel Ferrer, Clayton Rohner, and James Avery)
- Without a Trace (2003, with Enrique Murciano and Conor O'Farrell)
- Cold Case (2004, in which Garrett and fellow Voyager guest star Neil C. Vipond played younger and older version of the same character. The episode also featured Jay Karnes and Albie Selznick)
- 24 (2007, with James Cromwell and Tzi Ma)
- Leverage (2010, in an episode directed by Jonathan Frakes)