The servo had several functions, and served as:
- A communicator, which allowed Gary Seven to communicate with the Beta 5 computer and initiate transport.
- A personal defense mechanism. It had both a stun setting, which made its target go into a hypnotic state open for suggestion, and a kill setting.
- An electronic manipulation device, which Gary Seven used to deactivate the force field keeping him in the brig of the USS Enterprise.
- A mechanical manipulation device, with the ability to serve simple purposes such as unscrewing screws, and locking and unlocking doors.
- The device is similar, both in shape and function, to the iconic sonic screwdriver from Doctor Who, with the exception that the sonic screwdriver cannot be used as a weapon.