(covers information from several alternate timelines)
A sequence is a manner in which a group of objects, a specific task (or activity), or a combination of letters and terms is organized in an order. They were utilized for security-related matters like encryption, as well as computer systems control. Sequences are similar to codes and algorithms.
Examples of sequences
The Xindi superweapon had numerous sequences as part of its programming including an arming sequence, firing sequence, inversion sequence, and activation sequence. (ENT: "Countdown", "Zero Hour") Similarly, the Son'a collector had an activation sequence. (Star Trek: Insurrection)
Iconian technology used color-based key sequences for their control interfaces. On the Iconian homeworld in 2365, Data and Captain Jean-Luc Picard were able surmise the key sequence for launching the Iconian probes was blue-amber-amber-red and for overriding the launch bay doors was blue-blue-blue. (TNG: "Contagion")
The EMH program could be deactivated through its deactivation sequence. In 2371, Captain Kathryn Janeway gave The Doctor control over his deactivation sequence to help him transition to being a true member of the USS Voyager crew. (VOY: "Eye of the Needle")
In 2373, Elim Garak revealed that the encryption transmission code sequence of a Cardassian transmission from the Gamma Quadrant was designed by Enabran Tain and himself. (DS9: "In Purgatory's Shadow")
The impulse prestart sequence aboard Defiant-class starships involved heating up the magnetic plasma guides within the plasma conduits which created superheated plasma, as the temporarily small USS Rubicon was about to find out in 2374. (DS9: "One Little Ship")
Bio-neural gel packs were grouped in sequences. Sequence six-theta-nine was the location of a number of gelpacks that malfunctioned while Voyager was traveling through a Mutara class nebula later in the same year. (VOY: "One")
Other objects and activities that involved sequences included:
- Re-formulating magnetic constrictor for a resonance burst. (VOY: "Persistence of Vision")
- Borg autonomous regeneration sequencers and nanoprobes. (VOY: "The Gift", "One")
- Decompression of a cargo bay. (VOY: "The Omega Directive")
- The detonation of a Series 5 long-range tactical armor unit. (VOY: "Warhead")
- The ascending portion of a planetary landing. (VOY: "Dragon's Teeth")
- Igniting the ion drive of the Ares IV. (VOY: "One Small Step")
- Properly shutting down a holoprogram. (VOY: "Fair Haven")
Types of sequences
- Auto-destruct sequence
- DNA sequence, like nucleotide and base pair.
- Evasive maneuver sequence
- Launch sequence, such as for shuttlecraft and torpedoes.
- Main sequence
- Regeneration sequence
- Saucer separation sequence
- Three-dimensional chess sequence, like the Aldabren exchange.
- Transport sequence