(written from a Production point of view)
Rise Like Lions is a novel in the Star Trek: Mirror Universe series. Written by David Mack, and released in November 2011, the novel brings the "Memory Omega" storyline running through the series (as well as the Pocket DS9 novels Warpath, Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key) to a climax.
- Solicitation blurb
- In the Mirror Universe...
- mirror struggles to hold together his weary band of freedom fighters in their war against the overwhelming might of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance. Each day pushes the rebels on Terok Nor one step closer to defeat, but with nowhere left to run, the time has come to make their last stand.
- Light-years away, Mac Calhoun and his Romulan allies harass Klingon forces with devious hit-and-run attacks. But Calhoun has a grander ambition: he intends to merge his fleet with the Terran Rebellion and lead it to victory – or die trying.
- Meanwhile, a bitter feud threatens to shatter the Alliance from within. The old rivalry between the Klingons and the Cardassians erupts into open warfare as each vies for the upper hand in their partnership.
- Manipulating events from its hidden redoubts, Memory Omega–the secret operation initiated by Spock a century earlier – sees its plans come to fruition sooner than expected. But striking early means risking everything – and if the revolution fails, Spock's vision for the future will be lost forever.
Background information Edit
- The project was inadvertently revealed with the release of the previous Mirror Universe novel, The Sorrows of Empire, when it was featured as one of Mack's forthcoming projects. It had been expected that the story would have been approved by the release of that novel, but editorial reorganization at Simon & Schuster, among other factors, had prevented that, and the reference was missed in final editing. The project was ultimately approved and contracted in April 2010, being announced as the January 2012 release in Star Trek Magazine issue 154. Delays to the New Frontier novel, Blind Man's Bluff, brought the release date forward.
- Rise Like Lions begins just after the events of the Pocket DS9 novel The Soul Key.
- This novel features the mirror universe counterparts of K'Ehleyr and Selar. Both of these characters were played by Suzie Plakson. She played the former in TNG: "The Emissary" and "Reunion" and the latter in TNG: "The Schizoid Man".
- Of all the mirror universe counterparts of established characters featured in the novel, Miles "Smiley" O'Brien, Regent Worf, Tuvok, Ezri Tigan, and Leeta are the only ones to have appeared on screen.
Cover gallery Edit
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|The Sorrows of Empire||Star Trek: Mirror Universe||Not yet announced|