(written from a Production point of view)
A partwork is a magazine publishing format which is designed to market an ongoing collection to the public, based on a particular subject.
Usually geared to establish a strong subscriber base, partworks are typically released on a weekly, fortnightly, or a monthly basis, and commonly require the purchase of more than one hundred issues to complete the collection. In the UK and Japan in particular, partworks are among the most popular types of magazines. 
A number of partwork are commonly published and can include:
- A reference archive, with each issue solely consisting of a magazine.
- A DVD collection, with each issue including a DVD of the relevant presentation.
- A model-building series, with individual issues containing parts which eventually combine to create a single, complete model.
- A collectible models collection, with each issue including a finished, standalone model.
Star Trek partwork series Edit
- Star Trek Universe (1996-2001)
- Star Trek Fact Files (1997-2002)
- Star Trek: The Collector's Edition (2004-2006)
- Star Trek: The Original Series - The Collector's Edition (2007-2008)
- Star Trek: Best Episode Collection
- The Official Star Trek The Next Generation: Build the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D (2011)
- Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection (2013-present)
- Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection (2017-present)
- Star Trek: Discovery The Official Starships Collection (2018-present)