Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
To create headers for different sections, use the == (two equal signs) style markup. Do not simply make text bold!
- Example: == Example header ==
When you include a header for a section, you don't need to include an extra line between the header and the next paragraph – that is automatically included by the MediaWiki software. If you find an article with such spaces, they should be removed.
Benefits of marking headers:
- sections can be automatically numbered for users with that preference set,
- a table of contents is generated from the different sections,
- sections can be edited separately,
- words in headers are given greater weight in searches,
- headlines help readers by breaking up the text and outlining the article,
- visually-impaired users may be using software which begins by giving a summary of the article, built from the heading tags.
You should capitalize the first word of a header and any proper nouns, but leave all of the other letters in lower case.
- Example: == Example header for Memory Alpha's manual of style ==
It's important to nest headers properly, mainly for the same reasons listed above. Use them in order – H2, H3, H4, ... (The top-level heading of every page is H1 – the article title itself.) Viewing the table of contents listing will give you a good clue as to how good the organization of your article is.