Please read through the policy below to familiarize yourself with our common practices and rules.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or complaints, please post them on the talk page.
On Memory Alpha, we like quotes. We especially like quotes that are memorable. These quotes are the ones that when you hear a single sentence or two, you instantly remember the scene and context.
Quotes can be used to highlight episode summaries in their "Memorable quotes" sections, or even to emphasize character traits on articles about various people and species.
Quote guidelines Edit
- Short quotes. Keep them short and sweet. If it needs to be a full scene, or you feel the quote needs context, the quote is not exactly memorable.
- On an episode summary, the "Memorable quotes" section should contain no more than six quotes, but that number is not written on an optolythic data rod and more quotes may be added if a particular episode calls for it.
- In a quotes section, the quotes should be placed in chronological order based on the episode.
- On a character page, if the quote is to be used at the top, it should be a short sentence, at best. One that describes a major quality of the character or sums up their persona. Quotes used in the Memorable quotes section on character pages should only contain a quote by the character and no supporting quotes. If the quote doesn't stand up on its own it doesn't belong.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Not all character articles need a quote. Not all deserve a quote. Talk about it on the article's talk page first.
- Not every quote strikes everyone the same way. What is instantly memorable to you may mean nothing to every other reader of Memory Alpha. If you come across a quote that has disputed memorability, do not simply remove the quote, but copy it to the article's talk page and discuss it there.