The Keldon-class cruiser was a class of Cardassian warship utilized by the Cardassian military during the 2370s. The Keldon hull was similar to the Galor-class spaceframe, with additions to the aft end and main body.
The Keldon class was first introduced into the Cardassian fleet in 2371. These vessels were superior to the Galor-class, and possibly built to replace them. However, Thomas Riker believed that three of them together could be easily defeated by a single Defiant class cruiser.
A number of warships of this type were secretly constructed by the Obsidian Order in the Orias system in 2371. Built jointly with the Romulan Tal Shiar, these Keldon-class warships were fitted with cloaking devices, enhanced top speeds and weaponry. During an encounter with the USS Defiant, one of these vessels was heavily damaged by phaser cannon fire and six quantum torpedoes. However, due to the fact the Defiant was heavily outnumbered, the attack ended abruptly. (DS9: "Defiant")
These same Obsidian Order Keldons were used in the abortive attack on the Founders' homeworld later that year. Due to the Dominion's phased polaron beams mounted on their ships as well as their overwhelming numbers, the Obsidian Order's Keldons were destroyed with relative ease, along with the Romulan ships. (DS9: "The Die is Cast")
Ships commissioned Edit
The Keldon-class studio model was a modification, made by Tony Meininger, of the Rick Sternbach-designed Galor-class warship, originally built by Ed Miarecki. These modifications included the addition of fins located on the aft end of the hull, and a large attachment located on the upper-middle section of the hull. The purpose of these alterations are unclear.
- For further information on the model, see Keldon-class model.
The outline of the Keldon-class was displayed on a monitor in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Rising Malevolence" in 2008.
The following specifications, which describes this vessel as a Galor-class warship (variant), comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:
- Production Base: Cardassia Prime Orbital Three Assembly Facility.
- Type: Heavy Cruiser.
- Accommodation: 500 plus flight crew and troops.
- Power Plant: One and possibly two M/A warp system; two or more impulse systems.
- Dimensions: Length, 371.88 meters; beam, 192.23 meters; height: 70.13 meters.
- Mass: 2,230,000 metric tonnes (est.).
- Performance: Warp 9.6 (observed)
- Armament: Eight or more spiral-wave disruptors; one large aft disruptor wave cannon; possibly other weapons.