(written from a Production point of view)
John M. Wastaferro, known as Jonathan West, was director of photography on Star Trek: The Next Generation from 1992 to 1994. After that series ended he became a director of photography on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine until that series ended in 1999.
He also directed several episodes of both series, including the celebrated episode "Trials and Tribble-ations". Kris Krosskove substituted West as director of photography on these occasions. West received an Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Cinematography for a Series for the DS9 episode "Apocalypse Rising". He has also been nominated for his camera work on the 1991 television movie The Whereabouts of Jenny (starring David Graf) and an episode of CSI.
After leaving Star Trek at the end of DS9, West moved on to the hit CBS series CSI and then served as cinematographer and occasional director of Charmed, until that series ended. After that he spent a short while as cinematographer on The Loop, then as second unit director and cinematographer on Las Vegas. As of 2009 West is largely retired from the film and television industries, and focuses on teaching and consultancy work.
Star Trek credits Edit
- As Director
- As Director of Photography
- Season 3
- Season 4 (except "Crossfire", "Return to Grace" and "Hard Time")
- Season 5 (except "Nor the Battle to the Strong", "The Assignment", "Trials and Tribble-ations", "The Ascent" and "Rapture")
- Season 6 (except "Change of Heart" and "Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night")
- Season 7 (except "Take Me Out to the Holosuite")
Star Trek interviews Edit
- TNG Season 7 DVD special feature "The Making of "All Good Things... – Year Seven: On Location"), interviewed on 21 March 1994
- All Good Things Blu-ray special feature The Unknown Possibilities of Existence: Making "All Good Things" (2014)
- JonathanWestASC.com – official site