(written from a Production point of view)
A novel that takes the crew of the USS Enterprise from the outer limits of time and space to the inner reaches of the Human heart.
- From the book jacket
- Years before they served together on board the USS Enterprise-D, Commander William T. Riker and ship's counselor Deanna Troi had a tempestuous love affair on her home planet of Betazed. Now, their passions have cooled and they serve together as friends. Yet the memories of that time linger and Riker and Troi remain Imzadi – a powerful Betazoid term that describes the enduring bond they still share.
- During delicate negotiations with an aggressive race called the Sindareen, Deanna Troi mysteriously falls ill... and dies. But her death is only the beginning of the adventure for Commander Riker – an adventure that will take him across time, pit him against one of his closest friends, and force him to choose between Starfleet's strictest rule and the one he calls Imzadi.
- - Mr. Homm, on opening the door to Admiral Riker
"We all do it. Case in point: you're at a party and you run into a woman wearing a dress so ugly that it looks like a Klingon targ vomited on it. Do you say, "good evening, my dear, why are you wearing such a god-awful dress?" or "good evening, my dear, you look lovely this evening."
"Well... the second, I suppose, just to be sociable."
"Save it. On Betazed they know exactly what you're thinking."
- - Mark Roper and Will Riker, on his assignment to Betazed
"No, to be honest, I saw very little of myself in him. To be honest, he reminded me of..."
"He reminded me of my father."
- - William T. Riker and Captain Picard, on Riker's older self
"All is as it was."
"For crying out loud, if you knew that time had been tampered with in the first place, and you knew that the admiral's actions were correct... then why in hell didn't you tell us that?!"
"You did not ask."
- - The Guardian of Forever and Commander Blair
Background information Edit
- A New York Times bestseller.
- The Betazoid term Imzadi was first used in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Encounter at Farpoint". It is also used in "Haven", "Skin of Evil", "Shades of Gray", "The Loss", "Second Chances", "Violations", and Star Trek Nemesis.
- The Star Trek: The Original Series episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" is a basis for this story.
- The story was continued in Triangle: Imzadi II.
- In Chapter 32, which takes place concurrently with "Encounter at Farpoint", Captain's Picard's log states that it is Stardate 42372.5. But in the episode (and novelization) the stardate is given as 41153.7.
- 2350s-2360s – Starfleet lieutenant on Betazed.
- 2368 – Executive officer of USS Enterprise-D.
- 2390s – Starfleet admiral in command of Starbase 86.
- 2350s-2360s – Psychology student on Betazed.
- 2368 – Counselor of USS Enterprise-D.
- 2368 – Operations manager of USS Enterprise-D.
- 2390s – Starfleet commodore in command of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-F).
- Beverly Crusher
- Chief medical officer of USS Enterprise-D.
- Bartender of USS Enterprise-D.
- Geordi La Forge
- Chief engineer of USS Enterprise-D.
- Security chief of USS Enterprise-D.
Other characters Edit
- 2350s-2360s – Resident of Betazed.
- 2390s – On her deathbed, condemns Riker for Deanna's death.
- Roger Tang
- Starfleet sergeant assigned to Betazed with Lt. Riker. Tang would later appear in Pocket DS9: The Siege.
- Dann Lendann
- Chafin appeared previously in Pocket TNG: Strike Zone and is named after the author's friend T.A. Chafin.
- Kathy Li
- Kathy Li had appeared in the earlier TOS era series of comics written by Peter David.
- Sara Paul
- Mark Roper
- Wendy Roper/Wendy Berq
- Gart Xerx
- Chandra Xerx
- Reginald Barclay
Alternate timeline characters Edit
- Wesley Crusher
- Captain of USS Hood in the 2390s.
- Chameloid Enterprise-F science officer.
- Mary Mac
- Starfleet lieutenant, Admiral Riker's adjutant.
- Eza/Mar Loc
- Charlie Brown
- (20th century "philosopher").
- Julius Caesar
- James Kirk
- Wyatt Miller
- Ro Laren
- Alexander Rozhenko
- William Shakespeare
- Natasha Yar
- USS Chance
- 25th century survey vessel of Captain Tennant.
- USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-F)
- Federation starship in the 2390s under command of Commodore Data, with a crew of 2,030.
- Cygnia III
- Cygnus IV
- Forever World
- USS Fortuna
- Captain Lansing's ship.
- Gamma Delta
- Gamma Origii
- Guardian of Forever
- USS Hood
- Federation starship in the 2390s under command of Captain Wesley Crusher.
- A race previously seen in Strike Zone.
- Berlinghoff Rasmussen
- Starbase 86
- Planet Vulcan
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Reunion|| Pocket TNG|
|The Devil's Heart|