Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
(written from a Production point of view)
Hot Wheels is a brand name used for many of Mattel's diecast vehicle product lines and was introduced to the public in 1968.
Star Trek associationEdit
Mattel, one of the world's largest toy makers, announced in 2008 that it had acquired licensing to produce merchandise based on the Star Trek franchise.
Including repaints, a total of twenty diecast metal and ABS plastic Star Trek starship miniatures have been released under the brand since 2009. Each ship is said to be in "1:50-scale" (in reference to diecast automobile scales), measures from 10 to 20 centimeters in length, and is packaged with an adjustable plastic stand.
Five smaller "1:64-scale" versions of the USS Enterprise were released between 2013 and 2016. A "1:64-scale" USS Vengeance model and thirteen 1:64-scale Star Trek-themed wheeled diecast vehicles have also been released.
1:50-scale Star Trek releasesEdit
Series 1 Edit
- Released in May 2009
- Released in September 2009
2009 San Diego Comic-Con exclusiveEdit
Hot Wheels released its first Star Trek convention exclusive at the San Diego Comic-Con International between 23-26 July 2009. Limited quantities were also sold to non-attendees on Mattel's official collector site.
- Released in January 2010
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (alternate reality) - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D - "battle damaged" repaint
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Refit - re-release of first version
- USS Reliant NCC-1864 - "battle damaged" repaint
- Klingon Bird-of-Prey - "battle damaged" repaint
- Released in September 2010 as a six ship set in the Star Trek Scene It? Ultimate Fan Pack Limited Edition. It was retailed exclusively at Costco Warehouses throughout North America.
- Enterprise NX-01
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (TOS)
- USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A - "battle damaged" USS Enterprise (refit) repaint
- USS Saratoga NCC-1887 - USS Reliant repaint
- HMS Bounty Klingon Bird-of-Prey - "battle damaged" Klingon Bird-of-Prey repaint with hull markings
- Released in May 2013 as "2013 Wave 1"
USS Vengeance Blu-ray premiumEdit
Paramount Home Entertainment's Walmart-exclusive SteelBook Blu-ray release of Star Trek Into Darkness included the USS Vengeance model as a retailer premium. Play.com also retailed the model with the limited edition (of 4000) exclusive SteelBook version of the Blu-ray 3D. Both editions were released in September 2013.
- The Mattel Design Center produced SLA prototypes for a 41 to 45 mm long Hot Wheels starship line in 2003. The company planned to sell the diecast versions of the ships in 2-packs alongside their 1:64 offerings but this line was never licensed or produced.
- When first released, the Series 1 USS Enterprise (refit) had "USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A" erroneously printed on its packaging. This packaging was subsequently corrected for Series 1 wave revisions and Series 2. The Series 3 USS Enterprise-A is correctly identified on the ship's hull and on its packaging.
- The USS Enterprise (alternate reality) prototype was mistakenly produced with red bussard collectors causing a four month release delay for the first production version of the ship. The color was corrected to blue before retail release.
- The Enterprise NX-01's individual packaging erroneously identified the ship as the "USS Enterprise NX-01". However, the ship is identified correctly on the outer packaging of the Ultimate Fan Pack.
- Information on the packaging of the USS Saratoga erroneously describes the USS Saratoga seen on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The registry number "NCC-1867" was printed on the model's hull but this registry number was incorrect for any incarnation of the ship. The correct registry (NCC-1887) was correctly printed on the packaging.
- The Series 4 D4 class Klingon patrol ship was packaged as a "Klingon Bird-of-Prey" but this designation for the ship was not explicitly stated in the 2013 film.
1:64-scale Star Trek releasesEdit
Hot Wheels released a smaller version of the alternate reality's USS Enterprise in its 7.5 cm "1:64-scale" mainline "HW Imagination Future Fleet" series in February 2013. A "battle damaged" repaint of this miniature was released in the same series in June 2013. The first version of the ship was also re-released in the 2015 mainline "HW City Space Team" series.
Another version of this casting with a more detailed paint deco was premiered in November 2013 in the first wave of the 2014 "Retro Entertainment" line. A second "premium" version of the ship was released in the second wave of the 2016 "Entertainment" series with a somewhat less detailed paint scheme than the 2014 release.
A "1:64-scale" version of the USS Vengeance was released in the 2014 mainline "HW City Planet Heroes" series.
Pop Culture vehiclesEdit
Six 1:64-scale diecast wheeled vehicles were released as part of Hot Wheels' 2014 "Pop Culture" line. These vehicles and their packaging featured artwork based on Gold Key's classic Star Trek comics.
Six more vehicles featuring packaging and vehicle artwork rendered in a more photo-realistic style premiered at retail in February 2016.
- Captain Kirk '49 Ford C.O.E.
- Spock '59 Chevy Delivery
- Dr. McCoy '38 Dodge Airflow
- Sulu Midnight Otto
- Scotty Custom '52 Chevy
- Lt. Uhura '88 Jeep Wagoneer
- Captain Kirk Quick D-Livery
- Spock Deco Delivery
- Dr. McCoy Volkswagen T1 Panel Bus
- Scotty Baja Breaker
- Sulu '70 Chevelle Delivery
- Lt. Uhura Ford Transit Supervan
2016 San Diego Comic-Con exclusiveEdit
Hot Wheels released its second Star Trek convention exclusive, a figure and vehicle in a display case, at the San Diego Comic-Con International between 21-25 July 2016. It was closely based on the iconic photograph of a costumed Leonard Nimoy who was pictured leaning against his then-new car adjacent to the Desilu Star Trek soundstages. Limited quantities were made available for sale to non-attendees on Mattel's official collector site.
- Spock '64 Buick Riviera