Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Do you have a policy on alphabetizing character names with apostrophes in them? For example, by default the wiki sorts the character D'Marr before Daelen. Would it be better to sort the name "D'Marr" as "Dmarr" so it appears after Daelen?
- I have sort of figured out that character pages have category-like templates at the end that have to do with what their name is in other languages (example: [[ja:ジェイムズ・Ｔ・カーク（新時間軸）]], but is there any place I can look to figure out how that works?
- Regarding your first question, I don't think we have a policy regarding that, yet. How are other wikis (Wikipedia, for example) handling this?
- Regarding your second question, those are interwiki links. Many of our pages have a small list of languages (often starting with "Deutsch") at their end, linking to the same article in a different language. These are added by interwiki links of the form [[<LANGUAGE CODE>:<TITLE>]]. -- Cid Highwind (talk) 17:47, October 19, 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks. That sounds sensible. Let's wait for some days, and if no one has objected then, we can add that guideline to either this page or Memory Alpha:Category sort keys and start using it. -- Cid Highwind (talk) 10:31, October 20, 2013 (UTC)
- I just searched WP for advice on how to deal with the capitalization of the second character (should the correct sort key be "MRess" or "Mress", and does it make a difference at all?), and found out that WP states that apostrophes are ignored only after 'O', but explicitly states that they should be left in (also hyphens and periods) in all other cases: Wikipedia:SORTKEY. With that information, I'm no longer sure about this. -- Cid Highwind (talk) 15:45, October 26, 2013 (UTC)
I tested out the capitalization issue and it seems that capitalization doesn't matter. "MRess" is filed in correct alphabetical order. I think that must be new change to the software. I think it used to be that capital letters were sorted first. "Z" was before "a." As for apostrophes, I wonder why Wikipedia singles out "O" names. That seems arbitrary. I would guess that in real life, "O-apostrophes" are the only instances that happen commonly enough to bother worrying about. A wiki with lots of alien names with apostrophes might want to open it up to the other 25 letters. - Starfield (talk) 17:30, October 26, 2013 (UTC)