(written from a Production point of view)
Heel Verlag GmbH is a German publisher of non-fiction books, currently operating from Königswinter.
Founded in 1980 in Bonn-Oberkassel, the publisher specializes in the publications of reference works in the areas of technical subjects, the animal kingdom, hobbies, food, movies, and the like. While they do not publish novels, they are flirting with the realm of fiction as they also publish reference works related to franchises like Star Wars , The Lord of the Ring and Star Trek, not all of them necessarily from a real world perspective.
The Star Trek licenseEdit
In the mid-1990s, as hitherto regular publisher for in German translated Star Trek publications, Heyne Verlag, started to show declining interest to publish Star Trek reference works, Heel stepped in and has since then provided the German language market with translated editions, succeeding VGS Verlag who had started to do so due to a short-lived joint venture with Heyne. Though the majority of these were original Pocket Books publications, Heel has also translated unlicensed works, published by author Mark A. Altman.
Translated Star Trek titlesEdit
- Note: this list is currently incomplete.
- Reference works
- Star Trek: Die Technik der U.S.S. Enterprise. Das offizielle Handbuch – 1994, reprint 2005
- Star Trek: Die offizielle Enzyklopädie – 1995
- The Next Generation - Der Blick hinter die Kulissen – 1996, reprint 2001
- Das Voyager Logbuch – 1996
- The Making of STAR TREK: Der erste Kontakt – 1997
- Star Trek: Raumschiff Enterprise, Das offizielle Logbuch – 1998
- Die offizielle Star Trek Chronologie – 1999
- Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Das technische Handbuch – 1999
- Star Trek Raumschiff-Guide: Die Flaggschiffe der Föderation und anderer Welten – 2002
- Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise: Technisches Handbuch – 2011
Star Trek editorial staffEdit
- Almut Bastin – Translator
- Christian Humberg – Translator
- Claudia Kern – Translator
- Martin Noeken – Translator
- Josef Rother – Translator
- Ralph Sander – Translator
- Derek Smith – Editor
- Juliane Waltke – Translator