Composed primarily of a forward command section and a rear engine section, the middle of the ship was made of modular cargo containers for the rapid transport of material. This class of vessel was significantly inferior to Klingon Birds-of-Prey, and could be easily disabled by a Maquis raider. (DS9: "Return to Grace", "For the Uniform")
The Federation retained knowledge of this class, dating back to the early 2370s. A graphic display of a military freighter appeared on the USS Voyager's library computer screen that was viewed by One after Seven of Nine had activated the drone's linguistic database, and allowed him to assimilate information. (VOY: "Drone")
Ships of the class Edit
Background information Edit
The Groumall-type model appeared under three different monikers, "military freighter," "Cardassian freighter," and "Cardassian transport," all while retaining the same design. Since the differences in the designations are superficial, and there is no other indication that these ships were of an altogether different design, it is assumed that are all from the same class.
For more information on history of this studio model, please see studio models.
Technical Manual Edit
The following specifications, which describes this vessel simply as a Cardassian freighter, comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:
- Production Base: Cardassia Prime Orbital Three Assembly Facility
- Type: Freighter
- Accommodation: 30 plus flight crew
- Power Plant: One M/A warp system; two or more impulse systems
- Dimensions: Length, 255.65 meters; beam, 55.13 meters; height: 63.21 meters
- Mass: 1,340,000 metric tons (est.)
- Performance: Warp 6.5 (observed)
- Armament: Four or more spiral-wave disruptors, one medium aft disruptor wave cannon; possibly other weapons
- In Star Trek: Armada II, this ship appeared as a "cargo ship." It was an unarmed, non-warp-capable starship that traveled between allied trading stations.
- In Star Trek Online the Groumall-type is an available ship, renamed the Tuffli-class freighter.