This page contains information regarding new Star Trek material, and thus may contain spoilers.
Captain Gabriel Lorca was a male Human Starfleet officer who lived during the mid-23rd century. He served as the commanding officer on board at least two Federation starships – the USS Buran, and the USS Discovery in 2256. (DIS: "Context Is for Kings", "Choose Your Pain")
In the 22nd century, Lorca's family ran a business that produced fortune cookies. He was in possession of at least one tribble, which he kept on his desk in his ready room. (DIS: "Context Is for Kings")
Commanding officer of the USS BuranEdit
In 2256, during a battle in the Federation-Klingon War, he destroyed the Buran rather than allow the ship's crew to be kidnapped by the Klingons. He was the only survivor from the Buran, but the vessel's destruction injured his eyes, causing him to have to adjust to light change slowly from then on. The fact that he had been the only survivor caused him to get a negative reputation among other Starfleet personnel, as typically captains were expected to go down with their ships. (DIS: "Choose Your Pain")
Commanding officer of the USS DiscoveryEdit
Lorca was subsequently given command of the USS Discovery. Under his command, the Discovery rescued Michael Burnham and other prisoners after their prison shuttle was nearly destroyed by Species GS54, a species that fed on electricity. It was later revealed that the rescue was not by chance, as Lorca wished to recruit Burnham per Starfleet Regulation 13982 to aid him in winning the war. (DIS: "Context Is for Kings")
Key dates Edit
- 2250s–2256: Commanding officer of the USS Buran. Later destroys the Buran to prevent his crew from falling into Klingon hands and is the only survivor. This also causes permanent damage to his eyes, leaving a lasting photosensitivity in them.
- Appointed captain of the USS Discovery.
- Leads the Discovery to victory against the Klingons during the Attack on Corvan II.
- Returning from a conference, his shuttle is attacked and he is captured by a Klingon boarding party. After being tortured, he orchestrates an escape with the help of Lieutenant Ash Tyler. Using a stolen Klingon shuttle, both make it to the Discovery, which has arrived to mount a rescue.
Memorable quotes Edit
"No matter how deep in space you are, always feel like you can see home. Don't you think? Maybe it's just me. Forgive the lighting. The lack thereof. A recent battle injury. There's nothing they can do if I want to keep my own eyes, and I do. I have to suffer light change slowly. I like to think it makes me mysterious. No?"
"Captain Gabriel Lorca. Welcome to Discovery."
"Until your vessel's repaired, you'll be assigned to quarters and put to work. I'm not a chauffeur. There's no free rides on my ship. You were once a Starfleet officer. I will use you, or anything else I can, to achieve my mission."
"We are creating a new way to fly."
"Hold tight. Blink: you're in Ilari. Blink: the moons of Andoria. Blink: you missed Romulus. All those planets, all those places, all those species seen and yet to be seen. And you're home like it never happened."
"Universal law is for lackeys. Context... is for kings."
"So, what's it to be, Michael? What's in your future? What do you wish for? Atonement? Redemption? Maybe... the assurance that the captain you lost didn't die in vain? You helped start a war. Don't you want to help me end it?"
"Let's send our Klingon friends a message they won't forget."
- - Gabriel Lorca, before the USS Discovery destroys multiple Klingon ships (DIS: "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry")
"We were ambushed, and I did... escape. But I didn't let my crew die. I blew them up. I knew what awaited them on Qo'noS-- degradation, torture, slow, public death. It's the Klingon way. To spread terror. Not my crew. Not on my watch."
"Your eyes-- that happened when you destroyed the Buran, didn't it?"
"We choose our own pain. Mine helps me remember."
- - His way of telling his crew to get ready (Star Trek: Discovery)
Gabriel Lorca was played by Jason Isaacs.