I didn't know what else to call it, but I am in an interesting debate with friends on species native to the planet and what one would call them. (Example, Novan refers to those native to Terra Nova Is there some sort of list where we could see this? If not would it be worth it making a list? The main debate is how we see things like Vulcans be from Vulcan, Bajroans be from Bajor and such, yet theres a differnce with Humans, we are from Earth, the names are not the same as the rest of trek. Just some random thoughts... --Terran Officer Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:24PM (EST)
- I think this is one of those things that just makes it easier for the viewers to follow who is from where. The writers are not even consistent about names, for instance the bajorans used to be called bajora in Emissary. It's just that Humans and Earth are already well established. Every now and then you might hear Terrans from Terra. --Bp 11:07, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
- Thats interesting you mention that, I remember watching the tng episode where it plants the bajorans as characters, and they commit some terrorist acts and refer to themselves as the bajora, I wonder what prompted the script wrtiters to change this. --Capitalist Roader 21:24, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
- They probably didnt do it on purpose. Just a fuck-up that stuck. --Bp 02:19, 6 June 2006 (UTC)
- There are several. For instance, "Klingons" do not come from "Klingon", they come from "Qo'nos". The Dominion is unique, "Founders" don't come from the planer "Founder". While not often used in Trek, even we can fall under the common name thing. "Terrans" from "Terra" and all.
- I just got this transmission for Starfleet on your request. "Human is our title for our form of life from Earth to the rest of the galaxy we are beings from Earth therfore Earthlings". We prusume that due to the Universial Traslator Earthling in Vulcan for ex. would be corrected to Human on our scale where as it is the more widely use term. Earthling being what it is in other languages it is most likely easiler to just say "Huumann" and be done with it... In closing we are Earthlings as much as my friend here is a Martian... --User:Captain Wall::: Tuesday, June 12, 2006 06:14PM(EST)