Based on a discussion on IRC with Cid about how to disambiguate titles that already have a disambig, IE: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Special Edition) or Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The Director's Edition), several options were brought up, which I will attempt to summarize:
- Changing the title to remove the current disambig so another could be added. There are at least two way to do this:
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Special Edition
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Special Edition
- Removing the need by combining all the releases for a tile on a single page. Whether or not his would be limited to formats wasn't discussed, but I'm going to assume a format limit for the examples. This would mean that the Special Edition would have a separate section on the Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (DVD) article, and the Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (2009 DVD) would also be included on that page.
This originally came up because of the "Special Longer Version" of TMP, which was released under that title on both LaserDisc and VHS, but it may only a matter of time before a Blu-ray of "The Director's Edition" of TMP is released and this comes up again, so better to decide what to do now than later IMO. :) - Archduk3 20:27, March 9, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes. My line of thought was that, to use that example, the "special longer version of TMP" is always the same, whether presented on LaserDisc, VHS or some other medium, and we probably don't need several different pages for that same content. Archduk3 brought up the possible problem of different special features having been added, but that could be solved by having multiple subsections in a "Special Features" section. A good analogy to this might be a harcover vs. a paperback release of the same novel - I'm not sure if we currently have separate articles for those, or not. In any case, what should be avoided is a double disambiguation like "Title (disamb1) (disamb2)". -- Cid Highwind 21:14, March 9, 2010 (UTC)