Written language Edit
Ferengi writing looked much like a flowchart, with many sixty degree angles. Text radiated from the center outward, which indicated the direction of writing as well. Ferengi text could be written with or without a central hexagon, radiating from one side of a hexagon only and in single horizontal lines on signs and short notes. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi"; DS9: "Body Parts").
Keiko O'Brien's classroom featured a chart depicting the English, the Bajoran, the Cardassian, and the Ferengi alphabets. The chart listed some sixty-plus Ferengi language symbols. (DS9: "The Nagus", "In the Hands of the Prophets", "Cardassians")
Ferengi Lexis Edit
- The words "ooh" and "latinum" meant the same in Ferengi as they did in English. (ENT: "Acquisition")
- There was no word for "crisp" in Ferengi, since all food got mushy on Ferenginar. This was due to the planet having a high humidity and near constant rainfall. (DS9: "Let He Who Is Without Sin...")
- DaiMon: a rank given to one in charge of a starship; roughly analogous to a Federation captain. (TNG: "The Last Outpost")
- Nagus: a title of authority; esp. Grand Nagus, leader of the Ferengi Alliance. This was, presumably, an English translation, as certain Earth leaders (i.e. those of Ethiopia) also bore the title of Nagus. (DS9: "The Nagus")
- Lobeling: a child. (DS9: "Profit and Lace")
- Moogie: mom or mother. (DS9: "Family Business")
- oo-mox: massage of the ears, a sexual practice. There was no non-Ferengi translation for this word. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi")
Established words Edit
- Yop: "I" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Yop-im too: "I'm sorry" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Gren: "You" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Neep-gren: "Thank you" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Yoba: Brother (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Kora noosa?: "Anything?" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- NanDi: "Excellent" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Nass: "No" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Lahje: "Here" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Lat: "to", such as between the names of a sender and recipient, when hailing someone. (ENT: "Acquisition")
There were 178 different Ferengi words for rain.
Established dialogue Edit
Keh-ee Yoor-ee Dah-teh-ee...
The first part of Tog's computer security access code. Presumably the syllables are either the names of Ferengi letters, or words, i.e numbers.
| Pip im gren tovat. Yop bree gren skin law po far.
Yop im too, yoba. Yop sko ta yop ma.
Goss uff wok ton.
- Let us out of here.
Brik yop tal hopdrew, ki los hoem bog?
- If I jumped off a roof, would you do that, too?
Gren fatarik oo-mox?
- Unknown, may mean something like "What do you say I teach you how to oo-mox?"
Ya ta fa?
- Unknown, may mean "Is that a yes?"
Gren fa hoe loth pex-pil?
- Haven't you got that translator fixed yet?
Vo yop toe pah?
- Can I have that?
Yop triska gleep do-sta gren-la.
- I need that metal thing you're holding.
- Thank you.
- The following examples are from the script for ENT: "Acquisition". It is possible these lines are in a different dialect/language than that used by the Ferengi on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
Irr zoun nagool ahsp.
- They're not responding to hails.
Cucht eeta ekrajhn-voy?
- What do your scans say?
Irr gnales. Nohm setron quetsivoo!
- They're alive, but unconscious. It worked!
- Take us in.
Cucht nee va zeh?
- Do you know this species?
- This way.
Tenda sout bazul. Ningor.
- It's not on this deck. Let's go.
Gar-day latinum sou-tah!
- This is worth its weight in latinum.
- Don't touch it!
Ehj saf-rey tomen-dee.
- I know how to deactivate it.
Konah see-oh-mahj irr zoon.
- The fools never knew what hit them.
- Look at this!
Senpa tah-moy. Lorala rrela!
- She's beautiful. Exquisite lobes!
Latinum soun teyvalah
- She's probably worth a thousand bars of latinum.
Ulis tenda vool.
- Ulis is waiting to hear from us.
- We're clear.
- This looks like the captain.
Letra deemo mirra!
- Don't touch anything!
- Go ahead.
Feesha vou dole!
- We hit the jackpot!
- We'll be right here.
Guzah puh naam.
- Their medicines might be valuable.
Sel tre-oght da-techt.
- Roughly "Take all possible."
Ehj ocuuz sahfi?
- What about the equipment?
- Medicine first.
- Wake him.
Ingala duk habi?
- Do you command this ship?
Duk habi nakustra?
- Are you the Captain?
Bok megoron duk...?
- roughly "Do you understand...?"
Background information Edit
Ferengi statements that were scripted for but don't feature in "Acquisition" include:
Lir rrela toh teepah.
- Their lobes are so small.
- She's mine.
- I saw her first!
- With those lobes...
- I found another pretty one!