Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Written language Edit
Ferengi writing looked much like a flowchart, with many sixty degree angles. Text radiated from the center outward, which indicated the direction of writing as well. Ferengi text could be written with or without a central hexagon, radiating from one side of a hexagon only and in single horizontal lines on signs and short notes. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi"; DS9: "Body Parts").
Keiko O'Brien's classroom featured a chart depicting the English, the Bajoran, the Cardassian, and the Ferengi alphabets. The chart listed some sixty-plus Ferengi language symbols. (DS9: "The Nagus", "In the Hands of the Prophets", "Cardassians")
Ferengi Lexis Edit
- The words "ooh" and "latinum" meant the same in Ferengi as they did in English. (ENT: "Acquisition")
- There was no word for "crisp" in Ferengi, since all food got mushy on Ferenginar. This was due to the planet having a high humidity and near constant rainfall. (DS9: "Let He Who Is Without Sin...")
- DaiMon: a rank given to one in charge of a starship; roughly analogous to a Federation captain. (TNG: "The Last Outpost")
- Nagus: a title of authority; esp. Grand Nagus, leader of the Ferengi Alliance. This was, presumably, an English translation, as certain Earth leaders (i.e. those of Ethiopia) also bore the title of Nagus. (DS9: "The Nagus")
- Lobeling: a child. (DS9: "Profit and Lace")
- Moogie: mom or mother. (DS9: "Family Business")
- oo-mox: massage of the ears, a sexual practice. There was no non-Ferengi translation for this word. (TNG: "Ménage à Troi")
Established words Edit
- Yop: "I" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Yop-im too: "I'm sorry" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Gren: "You" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Neep-gren: "Thank you" (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Yoba: Brother (DS9: "Little Green Men")
- Kora noosa?: "Anything?" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- NanDi: "Excellent" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Nass: "No" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Lahje: "Here" (ENT: "Acquisition")
- Lat: "to", such as between the names of a sender and recipient, when hailing someone. (ENT: "Acquisition")
There were 178 different Ferengi words for rain.
Established dialogue Edit
Keh-ee Yoor-ee Dah-teh-ee...
The first part of Tog's computer security access code. Presumably the syllables are either the names of Ferengi letters, or words, i.e numbers.
| Pip im gren tovat. Yop bree gren skin law po far.
Yop im too, yoba. Yop sko ta yop ma.
Goss uff wok ton.
- Let us out of here.
Brik yop tal hopdrew, ki los hoem bog?
- If I jumped off a roof, would you do that, too?
Gren fatarik oo-mox?
- Unknown, may mean something like "What do you say I teach you how to oo-mox?"
Ya ta fa?
- Unknown, may mean "Is that a yes?"
Gren fa hoe loth pex-pil?
- Haven't you got that translator fixed yet?
Vo yop toe pah?
- Can I have that?
Yop triska gleep do-sta gren-la.
- I need that metal thing you're holding.
- Thank you.
- The following examples are from the script for ENT: "Acquisition". It is possible these lines are in a different dialect/language than that used by the Ferengi on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
Irr zoun nagool ahsp.
- They're not responding to hails.
Cucht eeta ekrajhn-voy?
- What do your scans say?
Irr gnales. Nohm setron quetsivoo!
- They're alive, but unconscious. It worked!
- Take us in.
Cucht nee va zeh?
- Do you know this species?
- This way.
Tenda sout bazul. Ningor.
- It's not on this deck. Let's go.
Gar-day latinum sou-tah!
- This is worth its weight in latinum.
- Don't touch it!
Ehj saf-rey tomen-dee.
- I know how to deactivate it.
Konah see-oh-mahj irr zoon.
- The fools never knew what hit them.
- Look at this!
Senpa tah-moy. Lorala rrela!
- She's beautiful. Exquisite lobes!
Latinum soun teyvalah
- She's probably worth a thousand bars of latinum.
Ulis tenda vool.
- Ulis is waiting to hear from us.
- We're clear.
- This looks like the captain.
Letra deemo mirra!
- Don't touch anything!
- Go ahead.
Feesha vou dole!
- We hit the jackpot!
- We'll be right here.
Guzah puh naam.
- Their medicines might be valuable.
Sel tre-oght da-techt.
- Roughly "Take all possible."
Ehj ocuuz sahfi?
- What about the equipment?
- Medicine first.
- Wake him.
Ingala duk habi?
- Do you command this ship?
Duk habi nakustra?
- Are you the Captain?
Bok megoron duk...?
- roughly "Do you understand...?"
Background information Edit
Ferengi statements that were scripted for but don't feature in "Acquisition" include:
Lir rrela toh teepah.
- Their lobes are so small.
- She's mine.
- I saw her first!
- With those lobes...
- I found another pretty one!