(written from a Production point of view)
- From the book jacket
- Without warning, Benjamin Sisko is living another life. No longer a Starfleet captain, commander of space station Deep Space Nine, he is Benny Russell, a struggling science fiction writer living in 1950s Harlem. Benny has a dream, of a place called Deep Space Nine and a man named Ben Sisko, and a story he has to tell. But is the Earth of that era ready for a black science fiction hero?
- Everyone tells him no, but Benny cannot abandon his dream. One way or another, he will tell the world about Captain Benjamin Sisko and Deep Space Nine.
Background information Edit
- Barnes worked from the original script, and thus left in several references excised from the final episode, including a reference to James Baldwin.
- In his author's note, Barnes talks about writing the novelization and the role of African-Americans in science fiction.
- An extract from this novel appeared in Star Trek Monthly issue 40.
- Shakaar Edon appears in the novelization.
- Benny Russell
- Douglas Pabst
- Willie Hawkins
- Darlene Kursky
- Albert Macklin
- Herbert Rossoff
- Julius Eaton
- Kay Eaton (K.C. Hunter)
- Kevin Mulkahey
- Burt Ryan
- Roy Ritterhouse
1953; Amsterdam News; baseball; Bible; Bradbury, Ray; Cardassia; Cardassians; cent; Christ, Jesus; Communism; Cortez, USS; Deep Space Nine; Defiant, USS; Dominion; doughnut; England; Fascism; flying saucer; frank; From Here to Eternity; Galaxy; Gnome Press; God; Harlem; Heinlein, Robert A.; Hughes, Langston; Hurston, Zora Neale; Incredible Tales; Jackson; Japanese Zero; Jem'Hadar fighter; Lancaster, Burt; Manhattan; Mars; Martians; Native Son; Negro; New York City; New York Giants; Parker, Charlie; Pearl Harbor; Please, Take Me With You; Prophets; Puppet Masters, The; red; robot; sauerkraut; science fiction; scrambled eggs; Sisko's; Snider, Duke; squadron; Stalin, Joseph; steak and eggs; Stone; Sturgeon, Theodore; Swofford, Quentin; tater; tea; television; typewriter; US Navy; Viking; Wells, H.G.; West, Mae; White Rose Redi-Tea; Wright, Richard; Xhosa.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Trials and Tribble-ations|| Pocket DS9|
|What You Leave Behind|