(written from a Production point of view)
Now, the untold story - Captain Kirk's First Mission!
- From the book jacket
- James T. Kirk is the youngest man to be promoted to the rank of captain in Federation history. His crew consists of a first officer who finds him impetuous; a chief engineer who finds him arrogant; a chief medical officer who finds him trifling; and a helmsman who wants a transfer.
- But the young crew, which would later become the legendary space explorers, quickly puts aside their differences when a monstrous starship appears on their nascent flight path.
"...and I know that Captain Kirk will find the Enterprise and its crew as faithful as I did."
- - Christopher Pike
"No, he treats me like I'm fifteen. That's when he met me. He treats you like you're eight."
- - Sam Kirk
"I believe that what Ms. Lukarian is trying to tell you is that you are a doctor, not a magician."
- - Spock
"I do not control the worldship, James. I control the universe."
- - Scarlet
- The choice of date for the story's setting is taken from VOY: "Q2", which sets Kirk's taking command of the Enterprise in 2265. No such mention of the official year is mentioned in the novel.
- The audiobook adaptation was performed by George Takei and Leonard Nimoy, and was released on cassette and as part of the Star Trek 25th Anniversary Audio Collection CD set.
- Janice Rand's age is given as sixteen. This would place the year of her birth in 2249.
- James T. Kirk
- Leonard McCoy
- Montgomery Scott
- Lt. Commander.
- Hikaru Sulu
- Janice Rand
- Christine Chapel
- Gary Mitchell
- Carol Marcus
- Christopher Pike
- Captain, promoted to Commodore.
- Mark Piper
- Winona Kirk
- Sam Kirk
- Philip Boyce
- CMO of Starbase 32.
- Captain of the Aerfen.
- Captain Hunter previously appeared in "The Entropy Effect", also written by Vonda N. McIntyre.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Star Trek III Short Stories|| Pocket TOS|
|Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home|