(written from a Production point of view)
A mysterious cosmic phenomenon threatens the future of the Federation!
Dead Zone is a Pocket TNG novel – #62 in the numbered series, and the first novel in the Maximum Warp duology – written by Dave Galanter and Greg Brodeur. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in March 2001.
- From the book jacket
- Interstellar civilization depends on the twin blessings of warp travel and subspace communications. But now an unknown force is disrupting subspace throughout the galaxy, creating "dead zones" in which advanced technology will not function. Ships are stranded in space, unable to communicate. Colonies are losing life support. Governments can no longer negotiate with their allies – or their enemies. Worse yet, the dead zones are proliferating at a geometric rate. Unless a solution is found, the entire Alpha Quadrant may be doomed to a new dark age!
- In the wake of the Dominion War, a tenuous peace exists between the Federation and the Romulan Empire. The uneasy alliance is strained to the breaking point, however, by the enigma that is destroying subspace. Now Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Ambassador Spock must join forces with an infamous Romulan war criminal in a desperate attempt to find the source of the disruption – even if it means sacrificing the very peace they hope to save!
Background information Edit
- The novel's title does not appear on its cover, where it is identified as Maximum Warp, Book One of Two. Dead Zone appears only on the inside title page, and identifies the book in Pocket's backlist.
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in Maximum Warp characters.
- Jean-Luc Picard
- Caltiska IV
- Class-M planet on the edge of Romulan-claimed space. In-system with a black hole.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#61: Diplomatic Implausibility|| Pocket TNG|
|#63: Forever Dark|
|First novel in series||Maximum Warp|