(written from a Production point of view)
|Region 1 cover|
|No. of episodes:||19 (1 feature-length)|
|No. of discs:||6|
|Region 1 release date:||25 February 2003|
|Region 2 release date:||24 March 2003|
30 April 2007 (re-released)
|Region 2 cover|
|Region 2 slimline cover|
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Complete Season One is a DVD release containing all of the episodes which were broadcast during the series' first season.
From the DVD booklet:
- The year is 2369. After a long and bloody struggle against the Cardassians, the Bajoran Resistance and their Starfleet colleagues have occupied Terok Nor, a former Cardassian mining station orbiting the planet of Bajor.
- Redesignated Deep Space Nine by the Federation, the station is now overseen by a Starfleet crew lead by Commander Benjamin Sisko, a battle-hardened officer who has recently lost his wife in a battle with the Borg.
- Together with his team, Sisko must preside over inhabitants friendly and unfriendly, honest and dishonest, Human and alien. This unlikely assembly of individuals gives Deep Space Nine its unique society, and brings intrigue, crime and some unlikely partnerships.
- Although the threat of Cardassian treachery is always present, the inhabitants of Bajor contribute their own set of issues to the station, bringing a strange mix of violent passion and calm spirituality to DS9.
- Add to these Ferengi traders, shapeshifting security officers, Klingons, Humans and hidden Gods, and the depths of Deep Space Nine society begin to reveal themselves.
- And with the discovery of a nearby portal to a distant and unexplored part of the universe, the lonely world of Deep Space Nine is about to produce consequences which will resound across the galaxy.
Special Features Edit
- Deep Space Nine: A Bold Beginning – This feature includes interviews with Michael Piller (1 October 1992), Rick Berman (7 June 2002), and Avery Brooks (4 November 1992) on the making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The subsection Designing Deep Space Nine featured interviews about the creation from early drafts to the built model with Herman Zimmerman (7 June 2002), Michael Okuda (9 October 2002), Rick Sternbach (7 October 2002), and Ricardo Delgado (19 April 1993). It also features a few behind the scenes filming shots from several episodes of the first season.
- Crew Dossier: Kira Nerys – Interviews with Nana Visitor (from 18 September 1992, 4 April 1999, and 10 May 1999) and Ira Steven Behr (from 9 April 1999) about the development of the Kira Nerys character. Subsections are Baby On the Set and Romance On the Set.
- Michael Westmore's Aliens: Season One – In an interview from 2 October 2002, Michael Westmore presents in-depth look at the aliens, including the Bajorans, the Cardassians, and the guest aliens such as the Kobliad, Wadi, Tailheads, Tosk, and the Miradorn.
- Secrets of Quark's Bar – Penny Juday reveals the secrets behind the props seen in Quark's. (Interview from 9 October 2002)
- Alien Artifacts: Season One – Joe Longo explains the props of the first season. (Interview from 19 April 1993)
- Deep Space Nine Sketchbook – Rick Sternbach explains several of his sketches for various props on the show. (Interview from 7 October 2002)
- Deep Space Nine Scrapbook Year One – Cast members and the production staff explains the development of Deep Space Nine, the shows look, and the variety of characters. There are two subsections, Building the Station and Make-up. The feature includes interviews with Rick Berman (9 April 1999), Avery Brooks (4 November 1992), Nana Visitor (18 September 1992), Terry Farrell (30 September 1992), Colm Meaney (18 September 1992), Siddig El Fadil (18 September 1992), Rene Auberjonois (18 September 1992), Herman Zimmerman (1 October 1992), Robert Legato (30 September 1992), Peter Lauritson (5 October 1992), and Michael Westmore (5 October 1992). (Region 2 only)
- Section 31 – Hidden files (otherwise known as Easter eggs, when present on DVDs).
- Hidden File 01: Avery Brooks interview from 4 November 1992 regarding his character Benjamin Sisko
- Hidden File 02: Colm Meaney interview from 18 September 1992 regarding his character Miles O'Brien
- Hidden File 03: Rene Auberjonois interview from 18 September 1992 regarding his character Odo
- Hidden File 04: More of the Rene Auberjonois interview
- Hidden File 05: Terry Farrell interview from 30 September 1992 regarding her character Jadzia Dax
- Hidden File 06: More of the Terry Farrell interview
- Hidden File 07: Siddig El Fadil interview from 18 September 1992 regarding his character Julian Bashir
- Hidden File 08: Nana Visitor interview from 18 September 1992 regarding her character Kira Nerys
- Hidden File 09: Cirroc Lofton interview from 18 September 1992 regarding his character Jake Sisko
- Hidden File 10: Jennifer Hetrick interview from 14 February 2002 regarding her character Vash and her appearance in "Q-Less"
Background information Edit
The Region 1 release features pictures of the station as if taken during a flyby, beginning with a wide shot including the wormhole on disc 1, and finishing with a closeup of the central hub on disc 6.
The Region 2 release features the only DS9 DVDs to have pictures of starships on the discs, rather than characters:
- Disc one – Deep Space 9
- Disc two – USS Defiant
- Disc three – A Klingon Bird-of-Prey leaving Deep Space 9
- Disc four – USS Mekong
- Disc five – The Defiant and a Klingon Bird-of-Prey
- Disc six – Three Jem'Hadar attack ships
TNG Season 7 DVD
|Star Trek: Deep Space Nine|
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Special Edition)
|Next series release:|
DS9 Season 2 DVD