(covers information from several alternate timelines)
Headgear was a form of clothing worn on a person's head.
Hats and caps Edit
A hat (or cap) was a device worn on an individual's head. Typically, a visor or brim extended from the front of the hat so as to protect a person's eyes and head from the elements. They could also be a part of casual wear or be worn with a religious background. Hats sometimes had a design on their front, such as words or an image.
Types of hats Edit
- United Earth Starfleet cap
- This cap with a brim, in the style worn by baseball players, was worn by United Earth Starfleet crew in the 22nd century. Captain Jonathan Archer and Crewman Alex had such a cap with their ship's registry, "NX-01", stitched on the front. (ENT: "Broken Bow")
- Archer, as well as Travis Mayweather and Crewman Ethan Novakovich wore these caps while exploring the first M-Class planet the crew of Enterprise surveyed. (ENT: "Strange New World")
- Reed and Tucker wore caps while stranded on a shuttlepod. (ENT: "Shuttlepod One")
- Archer and Trip Tucker wore these caps while crossing the desert terrain on the Torothan homeworld. (ENT: "Desert Crossing")
- T'Pol wore this cap while trying to be unseen by MACOs after she was relieved of duty by Archer and was confined to her quarters. (ENT: "Hatchery")
- Archer also wore his cap during his venture into Vulcan's Forge to help protect his eyes from the Vulcan sun. (ENT: "The Forge")
- Federation Starfleet officer hat
- Uniform accessory worn by Starfleet officers, including Christopher Pike, in the 2250s, (TOS: "The Cage")
- Starfleet Academy recruits and instructors also wore caps in the alternate reality.
- Baseball cap
- This design of baseball cap was worn by the Niners baseball team consisting primarily of the Deep Space 9 senior staff. The cap featured a baseball with the horizontal design of DS9 overlayed on the right-hand side stitching. Their opponents, the Logicians - from the all-Vulcan crew of the USS T'Kumbra - wore a cap with an IDIC, the symbol of their people, on the front. (DS9: "Take Me Out to the Holosuite")
Bajoran hats Edit
Starfleet headbands were usually matching to the division. Crewmembers who wore headbands include Ro Laren(TNG: "Ensign Ro", "The Next Phase") and Henley. The latter was reprimanded by Tuvok in 2371 for wearing one, as it violated Starfleet regulations, though he did remark that it was "festive". (VOY: "Learning Curve")
While the Ligonian First One Yareena wore a headband during the contact with the crew from the Enterprise-D in 2364, security chief Natasha Yar also wore a black headband during her hand-to-hand combat with Yareena at the Ligonian Centerplace. (TNG: "Code of Honor")
The headdress was a piece of material worn around the back of a head. It was normally seen worn by Ferengi.
Helmets were a device made of a material much harder than that of a hat. They were generally worn strictly for protective reasons, although they could also be worn for decoration.
The helmets included with United Earth Starfleet EV suits, according to Malcolm Reed, after wearing his suit for three days, felt as if it would have fused to his skull, leading him to threaten to "find the designer of this suit make him wear it for three days." (ENT: "United")
Types of helmetsEdit
- Army helmet
- Several of the Onlies on Miri's planet wore helmets resembling those of United States Army soldiers. (TOS: "Miri")
- Football helmet
- On the planet Earth, players of the sport of football wore protective helmets equipped with facemasks. One of the Onlies on Miri's planet wore a football helmet similar to those worn on Earth in the mid-20th century. (TOS: "Miri")
- Romulan helmets
- Crew members aboard Romulan Birds-of-Prey during the 2260s wore helmets. Some exceptions include the ship's commanding officer and his centurion. (TOS: "Balance of Terror", "The Enterprise Incident")
- Starfleet security helmet
- Introduced in the 2270s, these helmets were a part of a Starfleet Security officer's uniform, due to the sometimes hazardous nature of their work. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture; Star Trek III: The Search for Spock)
- Klingon helmets
- Light helmets were donned by workers in the underground dilithium mines of Rura Penthe in the 2290s. They were not in evidence during dilithium mining at Rura Penthe during the 2150s. (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country; ENT: "Judgment")
- In the alternate reality, all members of the Klingon Defense Force wore helmets that gave everyone the appearance of cranial ridges. (Star Trek Into Darkness)
- Hunter helmet
- The Hunters, a species from the Gamma Quadrant, wore these high-technology helmets during their hunt for a Tosk. The helmets allowed the Hunters to see even the cloaked Tosk. (DS9: "Captive Pursuit")
- Ekosian Nazi helmet
- Within their military, Ekosians soldiers wore helmets identical to those of the National Socialist Party in 1930's-1940's Earth. (TOS: "Patterns of Force")
- Mokra Order
- The soldiers of the Mokra Order wore black helmets matching their uniforms. Inside the detention facility they took them off. (VOY: "Resistance")