Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The term contraband refers to items whose possession is criminalized by a government through restrictions placed on them. Such restrictions can range from a total ban to merely limiting possession of an item to authorized persons.
In 2152 an Enolian patrol ship intercepted Shuttlepod 1, crewed by Jonathan Archer and Charles Tucker III, as it was leaving orbit of Keto-Enol. The Enolian crew boarded the shuttle and found what they believed was contraband, arresting Archer and Tucker in response. The crew of Archer's starship, Enterprise, later proved their innocence. (ENT: "Canamar")
In 2368, parts of a Vulcan navigational deflector were found in the Hanolin asteroid belt in a crashed Ferengi vessel. They were in crates marked "medical supplies", indicating that they were contraband. (TNG: "Unification I")
In 2372, Quark smuggled a large quantity of kemocite, which was illegal in the Federation, to Orion in his newly acquired Ferengi shuttle Quark's Treasure while transporting his nephew Nog to Starfleet Academy. Upon discovering that the ship was sabotaged by Gaila in an attempt to murder Quark, fellow passenger Rom used some of the kemocite to halt the destruction of the ship. It had the side effect, however, of throwing the ship back in time to the year 1947. After being detained by the United States Army, Rom was able to use the remaining kemocite to return to the 24th century. (DS9: "Little Green Men")
Later that year, Kurn discovered contraband in the possession of the Boslic freighter captain Tilikia. However, Kurn deliberately allowed Tilikia to shoot him, wishing to end his life rather than live in dishonor. Kurn did not die, and Tilikia was arrested by Odo. (DS9: "Sons of Mogh")
Examples of contraband Edit
Items restricted in Federation space Edit
- Bio-mimetic gel
- Cloaking device – Federation research forbidden following Treaty of Algeron in 2311; also illegal in Bajoran space
- Regalian liquid crystal
- Remat detonator
- Romulan ale
- Romulan mind probe
- Varon-T disruptor
- Venus drug
Other restricted items Edit
- Enolian spice wine
- Maraji crystal – illegal in the Cardassian Union in 2336
- Metagenic weapon – outlawed by most major interstellar governments in the 24th century
- Mimetic simbiot – creation banned by the Lyssarian Prime Conclave
- Rigelian flamegem – illegal in the Mutara sector in 2165 of an alternate timeline.
- Skagaran whiskey – illegal on a former Skagaran colony in 2153
- Tallonian crystal – illegal anywhere but on the Tallonian homeworld
- Thought maker – illegal in the Ferengi Alliance in 2364
- Subspace weapons – banned by the Second Khitomer Accords