Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
There was an previous attempt at this before using some obscure naming suggestion, but upon some further investigating, see bottom of talk:starship, I think I found a plausable means of solving the controversy of describing and categorizing pre-warp, sub-warp, non-warp vessels as "starships", but creating a "spacecraft" category.
Here is my logic, put in modern day context, without really deviating from canon:
- A starship is "a spacecraft designed for interstellar travel." In Trek, the most practical means of traversing interstellar distances is via a warp-driven vehicle. Whereas...
- A spaceship /spacecraft /space shuttle is "a vehicle used for space travel"/"operate outside of earth's atmosphere"/"transport people and cargo between earth and space."
So with the term, and subsequent category suggestion, "spaceship", we have a vessel capable of space travel, just as a pre-warp, sub-warp, non-warp vessel is capable of, but there are no apparent limitations on distance it can travel in space, thus back to my original "starship"/warp-drive correlation.
If were were to establish Category:Spaceships, which comes across a little 1930s hokey, or Category:Spacecraft as the primary category, we therefore fulfill our obligation to both warp and non-warp driven vehicles, at which point Category:Starships, Category:Shuttles, and subsequent categories for other specific "craft" such as probes, satellites etc would be subcategorized into their more specific subcategories without deviating from obscure or convoluted category names. Did I miss anything? --Alan 00:35, 19 June 2007 (UTC)
- Support Category:Spacecraft : So we can correctly supercategorize probes and shuttles underneath, which some might not consider "ships" per se.--Tim Thomason 00:42, 19 June 2007 (UTC)
- Another valid point. --Alan
- Support. -- Renegade54 03:39, 19 June 2007 (UTC)